SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbnceich

Here goes..newbie new build exterior help and interior feedback please

Patty
5 years ago

We are in the planning stage of building a new home for our family of 6 on 2.8 acres in Omaha, NE. Both my husband and I work from home (hence the need for two home offices), and our 4 kids (15 year old boy twins, 12 year old boy, and 10 year old girl) are very active sports lovers. Our home will face north ( maybe a tad northeast) and the rear of the house will have wooded views to the south. I am trying to make this home function for our immediate needs as well as work for when the kids are out of the house.

I have tried to incorporate many of the things I have read on here as what makes a home live well. While I have not hit them all, I'm hoping I have been successful with some. I generally like what is happening on the main level, but realize the kitchen needs tweaked some, as well as maybe the master bath. Some corners were simplified but at the expense of some windows on more than one side. What I'm primarily struggling with is the upstairs and the front exterior.

For the upstairs, the loft is way too big and I would like bedroom 4 (my daughter's room) to have bath access from the hall as well as her room I also felt the toilet/shower area of the Jack/Jill is too large. I started to tweak a bit than stopped. Any insight regarding these issues you could provide would be appreciated.

Regarding the exterior, I would like a "shingle" inspired home that is balanced, pleasing to look at, and hopefully won't date itself in the next few years. I tried my hand at cut and paste but have starred at it so long I'm not sure what is right and what is wrong with it at this point.

My cut and paste attempts below.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Comments (33)