SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtao23

Question Regarding French Drain

jtao23
7 years ago

Hello All

I have this under irrigation, but wasn’t sure if it’s best to have it there or the basement category as it applies to both. I can delete whichever post based on everyone’s input as I’m new to this board.

I recently had an addition built with a full basement. There were two areas in the corners of the addition where water was leaking in. Note that we do have a new sump in that room, but do not have the interior perimeter channel.

To help solve the issue, we recently installed exterior french drains (both footing and surface) on all sides. We just had a heavy rainfall and it seemed the drain helped on one side of the addition. However, the other corner though seems to still have water leaking in. It seems to be appearing from the floor (seeping through concrete) and not the corner.

Is it possible that the drains will work overtime or should I expect it them to work immediately right after they are installed? Meaning, could there be water still sitting under the foundation before the drains were installed that made it's way back in after the storm and it just takes time for that water to no longer be there?

The other note is that the rest of the yard is still being graded and is currently still soil/clay. Sod is being installed as we speak, but during the storm, it was still clay.

I was really hoping the exterior drains would be the final solve as we spend a decent amount to have them installed to fix the problem. Interior drains will be difficult as the room is finished.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Comment