SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enneaj

Help me choose tile and a vanity please!

Jeanne S
5 years ago

Hello Houzzers,

I am renovating a shower room in a holiday rental apartment. The bathroom is basically nothing more than a corridor. It measures roughly 2.8 ft X 13ft with 10ft ceilings, excluding the shower niche on the right of the picture.

I plan to rip out the vanity, tile both walls, and retile the horrible black pebbles in the shower tray.

The beige floor tiles stay.

Choice of vanity

I want to replace the existing vanity which measures 17 inches X 51 inches.

I am thinking of buying the compact turquoise vanity in the picture which measures 13 inches X 39 inches. I don’t need much storage, just a place to put rolls of toilet paper and a hair dryer so the one drawer would be enough. What do you think?

Wall Tile

What type and color wall tile should I buy? Should it be placed horizontally? How high on the wall should I tile? I want something that will not feel dated too quickly. My main objective is to reduce the corridor effect but I would also like to brighten the room.

Paint for the wall
What color should I paint the remaining wall over the tile? Should I try to match the tile color or have a contrast?

Shower tray
The beige wall tile in the shower will remain. I plan to tile over the horrible pebbles painted black. The tilers I have seen say it is feasible. What type of tile would you suggest? I want something simple, that will not show dirt and hard water spots.

Unfortunately I am keeping the black pebble border on the wall tiles (too much money to replace all the wall tile in the shower). I thought to paint it the same color as the shower tray. What do you think?

This new thread replaces an older one from 2017 where I was looking for inexpensive cosmetic changes. I decided it was better to save up and do a proper renovation.

Many many thanks to those of you that have already helped and to those of you who will offer new advice! Jeanne

Comments (51)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County