SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_michael

Christmas Tree Design Help

Sue MIchael
5 years ago
My tree looks sad. I feel like I'm missing several things. I was trying to do the animal theme you see hanging. I can return the red bulbs if it doesn't look right. Can someone with a good eye for design help? Maybe the ribbons in off? It's a 10 foot tree. Thanks

Comments (40)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The secret to a tree:

More lights than you think you need A seven foot tree needs a thousand . Incandescent is prettier tha led. And warmer!

There must be lights INSIDE the tree as well as outside.

Ornaments that vary in size, shape and texture. More than you think you need.

Dont forget the back and inside!! This is what gives a tree depth! Luster!

Take all that to the bank:)

Your "blah" will disappear with a bit more .....more

Dont worry about a theme. Make a beautiful tree!!!!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Not a fan of the ribbon. You need LOTS more lights and ornaments!

• Related Discussions

HELP! How much garland for pencil Christmas tree?

Q

Comments (4)
    What a good tip, OA, never thought of using just string as a guide for how much. Also Blizlady, good to know about 40 ft being recommended. I've been thinking about buying one of these trees this year. Michaels has had them on sale for $50. mistycakes, your garland is so colorful and cute. I am looking forward to seeing photos of it on your tree :o)
    ...See More

Christmas Tree Stand Help!!

Q

Comments (21)
    Just wanted to post a tree update! Thanks to you kind folks, we ponied up the money & ordered "Bowling's Last Stand." I was in love the second I took it out of the (Christmas tree shaped-cute!) box! It weighed a ton, the whole thing was made of iron or some similarly heavy-type metal. I triumphantly told DH, "The Tree Erection (ha, ha) Day will be better this year, this stand will MAKE Christmas merry!" And by George, it did! We put the tree up Saturday, and DH remarked how well-engineered the stand was. We chose a 12 ft stunner, and Dh and Ds were able to successfully get the tree in the stand, straight!! Dh said that stand was so sturdy we didn't even need the wood/wire tie thing he rigged up last year to bolt it to the balustrade! I told him my mental state required it, but it sure is nice not worrying everytime we leave the house that we will return home to Treemagenddon. :) So thank you for the wonderful suggestions, kind GW friends! Here is our lovely:
    ...See More

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree!...

Q

Comments (66)
    Really enjoyed looking @ everyone's lovely trees! Sorry a bit late, but here's ours. After years of elaborate real trees decorated w/ traditional ornaments, garlands, lights & candy, once our kids were grown, I got a small vintage aluminum tree on eBay & have enjoyed its convenience & simplicity ever since. No lights, no topper, no watering - takes me about 1/2 hour to complete... Here it is the first year we had it - 2007. Only year w/ icicles, after I learned (the hard way) that my cat liked to eat them... & here's a tree @ work - all decorations by kids in my arts & crafts classes... Merry Christmas to everyone!
    ...See More

Very Showy White Flowering Tree ID Help - Blooms around Christmas

Q

Comments (0)
    I have occasionally seen a small white flowering landscape tree that puts on a real show here in Florida around December every year when nothing else is. I haven't seen very many of them, but they are quite stunning in full bloom, but never knew what they were. I have wanted to possibly procure one, but didn't know what they were. It is a very bright white when in bloom & totally covered sort of like flowering pear in color. Sorry no pics, but there can't many be that many small white flowering trees that bloom in December here in 9B.
    ...See More
  • Brigette Smith
    5 years ago

I would add more ornaments. The more ornaments the better! Don't forget to put some deep towards the trunk of the tree. Maybe some gold. I love the animal theme! I love the ribbon, but instead of wrapping it around like garland, I'd tucket it in loops in different areas. It's great for filling holes!

• Tootsie
    5 years ago
    If you use ribbon make sure to TUCK IT INTO THE TREE. Go in and out. Just much more than you think you need and much wider. Twist it where it touches the tip of a branch. Tie it too. Use BIG globes near the bottom and INSIDE the tree. Progressively use smaller ornament as you move up and IN the tree.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Interior Design Work · More Info

Shapes, lights, texture .... Depth. Actually? No ribbon necessary./)

• always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

I'd lose the ribbon and add another layer of ornaments. They don't need to be expensive ones, could be one those box of mixed shapes that coordinate for fill in.

• Jade
    5 years ago

I love the style you're going for but some suggestions may to be adding more ornaments with new colors (diversify the red). You can try a new style of ribbon design such as this Here or Here

• K R
    5 years ago
    Definitely more ornaments (and lights too!). And no red. I like garland, it shines a tree right up. The snowy garland would be so cute if doing the animal theme. I saw tons of animal ornaments at Target also!
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I like glass icicles and lots of lights on a tree for sparkle. And lots of red. It's Christmas!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Perhaps lose some of the red ornaments and find shiny gold ones, lots of gold balls and other shapes in gold. Take off the banner ribbon and tie individual gold and silver bows. Small lights like on the tree that Jan Moyer has. It needs sparkle and movement, silver and gold, no RED.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

There is nothing wrong with red and gold! Mix it UP!!!! Skip the animals.......they are meant for a rustic and more minimal tree......: ) A theme.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

As other have mentioned,you just need more. One thing I do is position inexpensive glittery snowflakes (like the last one posted by Jan Moyer above) deep in the tree,near the trunk and behind a lightbulb. Some folks wrap the trunk with extra lights. In either case,you are trying to get some glow from within to add dimension.

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    a 10 ft tree takes a lot of work. ive been at mone for two days now.
    the ribbon is fine, but if you have more, add some. and wesve it in and out of the branches for a more doftened look.
    the animals are fine, if you love them.
    the red bulbs are just too few, or just too much contrast. you need more ( probably a lot more) other ornaments in gold to fill and soften.
    im guessing this is your first super tall tree. its really overwhelming the first time. a 10 footer really takes sbout twice the ornaments, even in larger sizes, that a 7 ft tree requires. at least, thats my experience.
    i love my tall tree, but ad im getting a bit older, im thinking about going back to a 7 footer... two dsys to decorate, for me, on the 10 ft.
  • User
    5 years ago

I would say to do away with the ribbon...it's a LOT more difficult to get just right and it frustrates me no end! That said, just ornaments and lights look lovely....You're getting there...just do more, and not the same size you already have...vary it.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I like the animals! They are cute. I also like the sprays of lights.

I would weave in some more twinkle lights in the way Jan described, and maybe a few more of those light sprays. Red works great with your nature theme I think. If you can exchange those bigger balls for smaller, shinier ones do! Add some red satin ones too. Gold would also be great. You could add a string or two of red "berries" and some pinecones (wax-coated) to support the nature theme.

I tend to lean more toward rustic trees so this looks great to me :-)

You might like to follow this thread for some inspiration and how-tos :-)

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5546347/show-your-xmas-trees-decorations-here#23291986

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Oh, and I meant to say, is your ribbon upside down? :-D

• Laurie Tillett
    5 years ago
    One of the best toppers I’ve seen for a “nature/animal” themed tree was a bunch of turkey feathers and fake red berries.
  • User
    5 years ago

Why the anti red? To each his own but I really like it and definitely at Christmas.

I’d remove the ribbon or tuck it in the tree more. The tree just needs more lights and ornaments.

I like to start on the inside and layer all silver or gold or both or whatever you want then work your way to the outside. It adds depth and shine. When you’re done many branches should have more than one ornament hanging. I also like to do groups of three small ornaments on one hook. Three gold or whatever color. If you can vary the size or texture I think that looks neat too.

Heres an example on groups of three balls on one hook.

https://dearlilliestudio.com/fhs-christmas-tree/

• Sue MIchael
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I did a little more tweaking and came up with this...I used some snowflake ornaments I had from before. What do you guys think? I'm also going to buy more ornaments to fill it more.
  • Sue MIchael
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Are the white snowflakes too white? I can buy other ornaments in another color. Also how is the ribbon? Should I remove it or keep it?
  • User
    5 years ago

I think it looks better. The too white question I think is somewhat of a personal preference. I think if you're going to use white I would add more silver and or gold ornaments for sure. Maybe even more white. The picks add some nice 'extra'. I teeter on the line of perfectionism so ribbon and beads tend to bug me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Look. Its a few weeks of the year, and I understand it, as one who CAN get a ten footer up and finito in three hours for a client. I have done sooooo many for clients, I no longer bother for MYSELF beyond a table top. I've done more trees than most would do in five lifetimes................thus?

Have a glass of wine, relax, and think about something else. Like the people who will be around it this year.

Next year? Get 1500 more lights. More ornaments. And it looks much better: ) anyway!

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

I think it is greatly improved but the first was fine and very much typical. My tree has always had a ton of ornaments and it has bee with great sadness I had to delete in order to add newer. Life evolves. What I hear from others is I have a TON where they have a few ornaments. Who are you trying to WOW--if it is for you STOP it is stunning. If it is for someone else--have a cup of coffee and REALLY explore WHY??

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

There are a million youtube videos on how to decorate a Christmas tree. Trends right now are using ribbon and picks (small faux clusters of some type of greenery or other accent to stick into the tree for additional texture). In general for me and Xmas trees, I like artificial trees with warm white lights, then I add small twinkle lights or fairy lights just to give it different lights. I add some type of garland that I wrap in and out of the branches at varying levels, and then a large amount of ornaments. Most would say a ridiculously large amount of ornaments. And the trick is to add them at different depths "into" the tree, not just on the outside ends of the branches. I personally don't use brightly colored ornaments, I stick with gold, silver, champagne, clear. No tree topper, I think if you have fully decorated the tree, a topper is unnecessary and can start to look silly if you're not careful, I prefer keeping it looking like an actual tree. And a gorgeous tree skirt (not something plain or ordinary, thick faux fur mixed with beautiful rich fabrics and trim).

• melinda1977
    5 years ago

I think tree #2 looks great. The ribbon changes and addition of ornaments are great improvements. I like the introduction of white on your tree; it really brightens it up.

• Larri
    5 years ago

Your tree looks great! I love how everyone has something unique, and especially love how certain ornaments can evoke special memories of Christmases past. Our tree is red and gold this year. It doesn't have to be expensive to look good. The red ornaments are new & came from a dollar store, and the gold ones have been collected over the past 25 years. Deco-mesh is my new favorite to add some pizzazz to our tree. My kids hang the ornaments, and they did a great job. I resist the urge to re-hang, though it kills my type-A personality .Hahaha

Wishing you & yours a Happy Christmas season!

• TJW
    5 years ago

I agree, your changes look great. The snowflakes and lights really brightened it up and made it look cheery!

• iheartsix
    5 years ago
    I think your tree is lovely and I appreciate all Jan Moyer has said. Our tree is filled with ornaments that date back to my grandma’s ornaments, my husbands moms ornaments, our ornaments of 42 years of marriage to handmade ornaments by our 3 kids and grandsons. It’s eclectic and loaded with love.
  • always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

My thoughts when reading this post yesterday that your tree should be personal to you and your family, not some designer decorated tree. Sure you see beautiful trees with coordinating colors and decorations...but you also beautiful trees with mish mashed ornaments from years and years gone by.

• User
    5 years ago

True...I was thinking the same, always...

We have a star of David that was handmade by my (then) 4 year old daughter....a glass sumo wrestler....a heart purchased on our honeymoon...a hand tatted ball done by the now deceased mom of a past co-worker...

Each of our ornaments is a memory and has taken a lifetime to accumulate.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I agree with Jan. The perfect Christmas tree obsession is only one symptom of how Christmas has been hijacked by the commercial interests. Our holiday of celebrating the birth of a selfless savior has perversely mutated into an orgy of insane greed and shopping. This year there are 5 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 5 weeks of insanity. My neighbor already had her tree and lights put up the day after Thanksgiving. One of my students had to work 8 hours on Thanksgiving day at Old Navy. The magazines tout how to have "the best Christmas EVER" for the umpteenth year in a row. Baking cookies for everyone you know. Santa Claus wasn't good enough--now there's Elf on the Shelf, and even the Mensch on a Bench for Hannukah, so all children can participate in the gimme, gimme culture. Black Friday gave way to Cyber Monday. More and more craft projects taking more and more time.

I say get off the treadmill and only do what means something to you and allows you to appreciate the true meaning of Christmas. Do something for someone less fortunate. Spend time with your children and parents. Visit the sick. Donate to a worthy cause. And ironically it's better for you than getting a new scarf/pair of boots/iPhone.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

If I could like that one hundred times, I would. We long ago traded multiple exchanged gifts, for just a fun xmas eve with stockings. The funny, the gift card, a little of this and that, lottery tickets and a great meal. . Done. Christmas day is for hanging around and a help yourself buffet in the late afternoon.

Help someone else. Donate to a charity. .............lower the consumption a bit, and try to remember it is the spirit that counts. The tree shall be gone, no matter how long it is UP.

I expect that to become the day after Halloween if we don't chill OUT. : ) Do only what truly brings you joy.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Thank you Diana and Jan. Well said. I especially feel this way this year more than ever. We have homes to feel safe and warm in. Less is more and peace to us all.
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    my tree, no matter the "theme", always includes some special family ornaments and memories. I hope yours will, too.
    merry Christmas!
  • hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    So well said Diana and Jan...thank you!!!! I'm going to read your comments every time I get Christmas anxiety...in this big city the commercialization starts in early November (apart from Christmas in July at the craft stores) ...two months of this is too much for me, I admire the endeavors of those who love it and wish I felt more enthusiastic.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

In my community there has been a bit of a backlash against Christmas arriving before Remembrance Day (Memorial Day) so this year most establishments waited until at least the 12th to bring everything out

• Donald
    5 years ago
    My only input would be to vary the red, as in hang some deeper reds or cranberry reds as well as some softer reds like pinks and roses. Variety in finishes too...shiny, matte, glitter, etc.
  • blonde08
    5 years ago
    I must say we go all out with our tree and always have because we love to see the enjoyment it brings to young and old. From my seven grand babies to my ninety year old father that lives with me. Yes it’s a ton of work but it is so very worth it. My two daughters are teachers and my sons girlfriend is a social worker, all at schools in a rural area. Three years ago my husband and I decided to start a new tradition after hearing so many heartbreaking stories. We give each of the girls $$ to help out a family for the Holidays and we have a family dinner to report back and share stories about our
    “through your eyes project” I am sure as the grandkids get a little older we will build on this right now all are under six!