SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

How long does it take you to cook breakfast?

lucillle
5 years ago

Post retirement, the whole waking up and eating breakfast deal has slowed down. First a cup of coffee, then from 15 to 60 minutes later, breakfast.

Occasionally I make bacon but don't really count that as breakfast making time because it cooks mostly by itself and doesn't require much active participation. An omelet takes about 5 minutes. Pancakes take 5 minutes. Biscuits 5 minutes to make, and then they bake.

I recently bought a bag of grits and took them out this morning and the directions say to stir constantly and cook for 20 minutes. That is way more time than I usually spend near the stove at breakfast time.

I'm thinking of making some grits this afternoon and refrigerating them until tomorrow morning. While the whole wake-up-and-eat-breakfast generally takes more time now, I'm still not inclined to stand by the stove actively cooking for 20 minutes in the morning. (I put the grits back in the refrigerator and made apple cinnamon instant oatmeal).

How long do you spend making breakfast?

Comments (47)

• Dolly
    5 years ago

Usually 5 to 10 min. Grits and steel cut oats are done in a small crockpot overnight.

lucillle thanked Dolly
  • aok27502
    5 years ago

Rarely more than about 5 minutes. I usually prefer something toasted, with either cream cheese or avocado. DH doesn't eat breakfast, so we never have a full meal.

lucillle thanked aok27502
  • Related Discussions

How long before you know a graft does not take?

Q

Comments (3)
    I decide a graft is dead when it shows signs of dessication in the form of longitutinal lines along the length of the scion. Shriveled up, in short.The green is a good sign. I don't know when a graft heals because I leave the parafilm on until it practically falls off by itself- months, usually. Good luck, M
    ...See More

How do you root hoyas and how long does it take?

Q

Comments (2)
    Okay, First of all, what you have there is a Hoya carnosa 'Rubra' Its expired trademark name is Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess'⢠This cultivar has a tendency to revert to plain green leaves. The vines that have just green leaves will not start producing variegated leaves again. That means that if you did sell cuttings from this plant, you would have two types of cuttings, which would need to be correctly labeled: 1: variegated cuttings = Hoya carnosa 'Rubra' (commonly called 'Krimson Princess') 2: non-variegated cuttings = Hoya carnosa You would not need to root the cuttings. Hoyas are often, if not primarily, sold as unrooted cuttings. But seeing as this is a very common Hoya, your buyer market would be beginner Hoya growers, and they might feel less confident about their ability to root a Hoya. So, I don't know whether you would be able to move them that way or not. To root a Hoya, you just stick it in the medium you intend to grow it in, with one or more nodes (the bumps leaves grow from) underneath or in contact with the soil. Keep the medium moist but not wet, while rooting. It takes around a month, slower this time of year.
    ...See More

Ladies, how long does it take you to get your period each month?

Q

Comments (3)
    It's normal. The delay is because your body is getting the hormone in the pill out of your system. It takes me sometimes 3 or 4 days. Once I didnt get a period for several months but knew i wasnt pregnant (no signs, just a feeling I wasnt). My pill's hormone level was too high for me. If you dont get a few periods and rule out pregnany, that may be it. Sometimes when on the pill you can skip a period, or just spot a little.
    ...See More

How long does it take you to fall asleep?

Q

Comments (30)
    I only go to sleep in minutes if I am VERY tired. OTOH, if I am truly EXHAUSTED, it takes longer. (Go figure.) I didn't have a problem until post-menopause. Now I have a generic for Ambien 5 mg that I will take if I can't get to sleep within an hour or can't get back to sleep if I wake before 3 a.m. (One or the other -- not two pills in one night.) I used the Ambien Monday night on the redeye home from Hawaii and got a good four hours more than my DH. Next time I'm going to add the blindfold to see if I can get even more.
    ...See More
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

I’m not really in the habit of making a cooked breakfast, unless I’m working in winter and make oatmeal, which takes less than 10 minutes from go to whoa.

If I have breakfast at all it’s more likely to be cold cereal, a couple of thick slices of buttered sourdough bread, or a pastry- Danish, croissant, cinnamon bun etc.

Occasionally on a Sunday I’ll do a “full English” which is fried eggs, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms, bacon, link sausages, baked beans and toast, which does take some time. But being a heart attack on a plate, we don’t have it terribly often :-)

lucillle thanked colleenoz
  • amylou321
    5 years ago

As little as 10 minutes to as much as 30,depending on what I am making. For pancakes or breakfast sandwiches, 10 minutes or so. For a full breakfast,it takes longer. A "full" breakfast for SO at my house consists of rice with butter, scrambled egg with cheese,bacon,sausage, biscuits and fried potatoes. Since it is the only meal i KNOW i can get him to eat,I try to make it as hearty as possible. I will usual just eat 1 piece of bacon,a sausage patty and a fried egg,occasionally an omelet. But that would be MY dinner since I work nights. My own breakfast is usually non breakfast food, which will range from takeout to a full meal which can take a long time to make,depending on what it is.....

lucillle thanked amylou321
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Dunno how long it takes me to walk to the work cafeteria, but longer than 20 minutes from "go to whoa" (Iove that!). Of course, I can pick up anything from oats to grits, coffee, yogurt, fresh fruit already chopped up, eggs, pancakes, etc. It's a spread out campus and there is always a line is why it takes so long. Eh, I need the exercise.

lucillle thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • User
    5 years ago

*If* I have breakfast (I'm going back to Keto after Christmas so don't judge me here.... lol) It's a bowl of Raisin Bran. Pouring a bowl of cereal and topping with milk takes about 30 seconds. Or I'll make some toast and butter it and top it with peanut butter or Dutch toppings. (Again, no judging here: the Dutch know how to make good toast)

But when we do Keto, I usually only have breakfast on the weekends. I'll fry up some mushrooms, bacon and onions and set them aside. Then take about half a dozen eggs and whisk them up. I'll make an omelet with the eggs using the mushrooms, onions and bacon and add some grated cheddar cheese. The whole process probably takes about a 1/2 hour. *If* I have breakfast on week days while doing keto, I'll usually just scramble a couple eggs. That only takes a couple minutes. I rarely eat breakfast though.

lucillle thanked User
  • yeonassky
    5 years ago

No time at all as DH makes any breakfast I eat most days. He usually makes eggs poached soft and I have them for lunch. It takes him about 5 to 10 minutes to make the eggs and slice avocado and toast his toast.

I have to eat 2 bananas and peanut butter every morning before noon or I'm up all night with leg cramps which I was last night.

lucillle thanked yeonassky
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Dutch toppings?! That's my son's favorite. Love the fruit flavored the best.

lucillle thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeona, could your Dr. given you an appropriate dose of potassium supplement that might help with that?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I dunno.....never timed it :-))

I tend to get up ridiculously early and after feeding the cat, making coffee is the first thing on my agenda. That keeps me occupied and fulfilled while I do my morning stuff: reading/responding to emails, participating here, other computer work, putting on a load of laundry, etc. I don't bother with breakfast - nor am I hungry - for several hours.

If I don't have any morning appointments, I will generally have some sort of cooked breakfast - something that keeps me going most of the day - usually involving eggs and some other breakfast protein. But not always :-) A toasted bagle or a bowl of cereal with fruit may suffice. So it could take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes.

If I have morning appointments, I often skip breakfast and will have an early lunch instead. It is very rare that I will have both a breakfast and a lunch meal.....and that usually means no 'formal' dinner but maybe just some fruit and cheese.

lucillle thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • pudgeder
    5 years ago

Greek yogurt w/granola.

Less than 5 minutes.

lucillle thanked pudgeder
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    5 years ago

Usually not long for me, it depends what I feel like I want. I had a ham sandwich this morning and a piece of Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie I baked. I had iced tea with that. All in the fridge so did not take long at all.

Sue

lucillle thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't think I have cooked breakfast since my daughter left for college. My husband leaves at 3:30 a.m. and eats breakfast on the boat. If he doesn't work, he usually goes to coffee with a bunch of locals....or goes to the boat anyway. I don't eat typical breakfast food. I don't eat eggs or cereal (don't drink milk), but I always eat a bite of something before I go out to feed horses. Sometimes a piece of toast or a bite of something left over from the night before. But usually I eat around 11, but it takes about 3 min. to make toast. At 11, I eat something "substantial", and that carries me until supper.

lucillle thanked marilyn_c
  • dedtired
    5 years ago

I am like the walking dead in the morning, so the idea of cooking is anathema. I set up the coffee maker the night before so that only requires pushing a couple buttons. Then I put a container of yogurt in a bowl, top with granola and fruit and that’s it.

lucillle thanked dedtired
  • yeonassky
    5 years ago

Thanks for asking Lucille. The doctor had me try absolutely everything. Then in frustration threw up his hands and sent me to a dietitian. I react to everything and every kind of a pill. She had me try so many things that I shudder to think of ever having to go through that again. Bananas and peanut butter combined were a hit with my stomach and my cramps. Yes frustrating and what a boring diet. Too bad it wasn't avocados and cream cheese that did the trick. Now that I would love for breakfast :-).

lucillle thanked yeonassky
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    5 years ago

I'm with pudgeder - granola and Greek yogurt. Plus a cup of coffee.

lucillle thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Rusty
    5 years ago

Breakfast?

It's supposed to be cooked? ? ? ?

Just kidding. But I haven't cooked breakfast in probably over 10 years! Whenever I finally come staggering out of my bedroom, I have a cup of coffee, which is ready because I fix it before I go to bed, and a timer gets it going in the morning. Mid morning I'll eat some fresh fruit, then around noon, I'm finally ready for something with protein. My 'routine' has changed so-o-o-o much in the years since my husband passed away, I hardly recognise myself sometimes. I have somehow morphed from an early bird to a night owl. I keep trying to get back to the early bird status, but just can't seem to manage it.

Rusty

lucillle thanked Rusty
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

The first hour after I get up is tea time. Nothing interferes with tea time. That's when I check out my email, jewelry forum, the KT, Etsy and the news. Once tea time is over, I make breakfast which takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. Breakfast is pretty much always the same thing: an omelette with some sort of protein, mushrooms, spinach and pepper jack cheese. On the side there are cucumber spears and some sort of fruit salad (usually strawberries and melon). Once in a great while, I'll have a very thinly sliced piece of toast or half an English muffin to go with it. I rarely eat again until dinner time.

Then 40 minutes of yoga (I know, don't exercise on a full stomach, but it works for me), shower, get dressed and it's time to start the day.

lucillle thanked DawnInCal
  • Kathsgrdn
    5 years ago

A few minutes. I usually eat leftovers for breakfast and just warm them up.

lucillle thanked Kathsgrdn
  • bob_cville
    5 years ago

Most days it is a large espresso with cold milk, a fried egg on toast with a slice of ham and a slice of swiss. Usually takes about 5 to 6 minutes to make.

lucillle thanked bob_cville
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

I sort of have two breakfasts. I'm up before 6 and have coffee and a banana then head straight for a run or to the gym. Home by 8:30 for a second coffee and 2 pieces of all grain toast with a slice of swiss cheese and 1/4 avocado spread on it. So really no preparation. DH has the same thing everyday - shredded wheat with granola and a sliced banana on top and milk.

That gets me through a large part of the day.

lucillle thanked blfenton
  • Lars
    5 years ago

I spend up to an hour cooking breakfast on week-ends, but I guess it's more like brunch. If I make an omelet just for myself, I guess it only takes about five minutes, but if I make okonomiyaki (which I often do on week-ends), the whole process takes at least 45 minutes, which is about the same time it takes for German apple pancakes, frittata, or quiche. Often, however, I have a smoothie for breakfast, and that takes less than five minutes. When I make grits, I cook them on the stovetop for six minutes and then bake them in a casserole dish for 45 minutes. The recipe includes fresh garlic, peppers, celery, and herbs that I cook with the grits. Then I add sausage, cheese, and eggs to make the casserole. I generally make six servings at a time, and this reheats nicely. I used to make steel-cut oats with date crystals and apples, but that is no longer on my diet.

lucillle thanked Lars
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

Back when my husband was living here except for the days we went to the Y and ate out after it would take any where from 20 minutes to an hour. Someone mentioned pancakes within 5 minutes. Sounds good but we always allowed the batter to set for at least ten minutes before using.

Now it is get up. Make coffee. Feed cats. Then depending on what I am eating it could be 5 minutes or 40. I count the time preparing things for breakfast as part of breakfast. I have an aversion to things to put in an omelet unless they are immediately chopped or diced right before adding. The aversion is strange because I have no problems with prepared salad stuff. However the few times I have purchased chopped veggies at a salad bar to use in cooking I almost always end up pitching it.

lucillle thanked maifleur01
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

My go to breakfast now is an apple cut in chunks than microwaved for 18 seconds. To this I add 1/4 cup cottage cheese. a sprinkle of cinnamon, a drizzle of honey and sometimes a few praline pecans.

I might do blueberries and yogurt.

The only cooked breakfast I would do is a scrambled egg and a piece of toast.

lucillle thanked eld6161
  • nickel_kg
    5 years ago

Morning always starts with coffee, with a splash of milk in it. Our "most often" cooked breakfast is oatmeal, five minute cooked in a saucepan. When I have apples around, sometimes I'll add diced apple to the oatmeal for the last little bit of cooking time. Eld, I never thought about microwaving apple chunks, but I bet it turns out like my oatmeal apples. Sounds good!

lucillle thanked nickel_kg
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

@eld6161 - You have just described my lunch! I even do the cinnamon and the honey and the pecans. The only difference is I use apple sauce rather than microwaved apples but I think I might try that. When blueberries are in season I substitute them for the apple sauce.

lucillle thanked blfenton
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

The last breakfast I made was: 18 baking powder biscuits/English muffin size, topped with a strip of cooked bacon cut in half on each, a poached egg & cheese. Took me about .......1.5 hours. :0) I froze most of them.

lucillle thanked nicole___
  • Cherryfizz
    5 years ago

I rarely make a cooked breakfast unless it is breakfast for dinner. Lately I have been eating a tortilla with Wow butter and a sliced banana for breakfast but come winter I will most likely switch to porridge and will make a batch in the Instant Pot for the week to just reheat. Many times I just skip breakfast and have lunch around 2 pm. I don't usually have dinner until 8 pm

lucillle thanked Cherryfizz
  • Lars
    5 years ago

I often make breakfast burritos, and that is the only breakfast I would ever make for dinner, except okonomiyaki. I also make breakfast tacos and migas - and migas is one of my favorites and fairly quick to make - 30 minutes max.

lucillle thanked Lars
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love breakfast burritos. Had to look up migas but they look yummy. Looked up okonomiyaki, looks good but definitely for me a brunch/lunch item because of the time factor.

I do eat non traditional breakfasts, cold pizza being my #1 fave, but they can't take a whole long time to cook.

• OklaMoni
    5 years ago

three minutes tops... but then I don't "cook" breakfast.

Pour some old fashioned oats in a bowl, add about a half table spoon cocoa, and a scoop of mix I put in, poor some milk over and eat what I call muesli.

I eat that about 300 days per year. ;)

Moni

lucillle thanked OklaMoni
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

I have't made a hot breakfast on a daily basis since my offspring were in school. I could live w/o and DH only eats cold cereal. Even when I made pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, french toast--WHAT EVER he ate his cereal.

lucillle thanked arcy_gw
  • chisue
    5 years ago

Gosh, some of you sure cook eggs fast. Mine are in the pan for more than five minutes on low heat.

We have some kind of cereal with fruit most mornings and eggs twice a week. Coffee, OJ, English muffins w/butter or jam or a bit of store-bought coffee cake. M/W bacon on Sundays. Never pancakes, waffles, syrup. Never potatoes. (Yeah, Yankees here.) Never rice. Never sausage.

colleenoz -- An friend from Bristol managed to dodge diabetes by giving up his Full English habit, but then his idea of 'enough bacon' for it was a whole pound, just for himself!

lucillle thanked chisue
  • gigirambles
    5 years ago

Zero time...I generally don't do breakfast. And when I do, The Husband makes it.

lucillle thanked gigirambles
  • Rusty
    5 years ago

Would someone please explain what the "Dutch toppings" that Rob and Debby mentioned are?

Rusty

lucillle thanked Rusty
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

I prepare and cook a scrambled egg in the microwave in under one minute.

lucillle thanked graywings123
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Since my husband retired it's a whole new routine. We don't eat early, we are not real early people. He will get up and make coffee and we will sit and talk, watch news, drink coffee. Around noontime we head to the kitchen and make our "breakfast" which usually consists of breakfast foods. Sometimes an omelet, some times fried egg with a meat, bacon or sausage or Canadian bacon, or ham. I cook the bacon in the oven. Occasionally we have toast. I just bought some oatmeal for the winter, I love it but he is not a fan. It never takes me long to cook any of it. And he helps. When we get hungry later in the evening we have something light, a small meal. It used to be neither of us ate breakfast, he never ate lunch, I would usually have a little bite of something for a late lunch, and then I would cook a big dinner for us. It was the only meal he ate each day. I was glad to get that situation changed. Apples and peanut butter or banana and peanut butter are often my meal. I also have Leg cramps and restless leg. I have to take something or rub my legs with potassium lotion right before bed. I take supplements too. And some nights no matter what I do I have them. If I ate my banana and peanut butter early in the day it would have no effect I have to have it later closer to bed time.

lucillle thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • chisue
    5 years ago

Speaking of bananas, I have only late in life realized that the little ditty sung by Chiquita Banana was just a marketing ploy. You CAN put bananas in the refrigerator! Yes, the skins turn brown, but the fruit is still firm for several days. How many bananas have I thrown away because they spoiled OUTSIDE the refrigerator.

I'm also able to hold a ripe avacado in the fridge for a few days if I wrap it, skin on, in plastic wrap, until I need it.

lucillle thanked chisue
  • Naomi Hertz
    5 years ago

We have cold cereal and have for most of our married life. So it takes us 2 minutes. We get our own bowls and our choice of the cereals so we share in the work. If we have a cooked breakfast type food it is usually at lunch or dinner.

lucillle thanked Naomi Hertz
  • Amazing Aunt Audrey
    5 years ago

5-20 minutes. My breakfast is different everyday. Cold cereal, oatmeal, pancakes, omelet, fried or scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage. A piece of fruit every morning.

lucillle thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    5 years ago

My 'breakfast' takes about 1 minute, plus 2 in the microwave. I have a 12 oz mug of ovaltine in whole milk every morning ;O)

lucillle thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • kadefol
    5 years ago

About 3 - 8 minutes during the week. We get up, have our coffee, then go for a 2 - 3 mile walk most days. Once home again it's either green kefir smoothies or oatmeal. On the weekends sometimes the same and sometimes home fries with over-easy eggs. Potatoes and eggs take about 20 mins, chopping potatoes included. :)

lucillle thanked kadefol
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

75% of the time, it's what gets pulled together during the maybe 10 minutes it takes to make coffee. Some combination of toast, yoghurt with or without fruit, a few kinds of cheese, maybe a bit of leftovers, etc. The other days, one of us will cook eggs or steel cut oats to add to the preceding list.

lucillle thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • cynic
    5 years ago

As long as it takes for me to grab an apple or a Quest bar. That's breakfast for me now, well about 95% of the time anyway.

lucillle thanked cynic
  • marylmi
    5 years ago

Coffee with either toast, English muffin, or a bagel, so maybe 10 minutes.

lucillle thanked marylmi