SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_wilson105

Plexiglass Cover over Coffee Table

Scott Wilson
5 years ago

I have an Ikea coffee table that has a few years on it and the top is a bit worn and could do with a fresh look. My idea is to cover the table with a map image which I found - it is untreated paper cut to the same size as the table top. I also have purchased a piece of 3mm transparent acrylic which I would like to lay over the map.

If I were to just put the two layers down in looks great, but of course if I want to have it stay in place and not slide around easily. As it's a relatively light top piece it will not stay in place by its own weight alone. I didn't invest in a thicker glass because the table is just not worth that much to me and at that point I could just buy a new table.

My question is what do you think is the best way to keep both the plexiglass and map in place. I have some of those small rubber grip pads which are meant to adhere to the table top and the plexiglass just sits on it and apparently won't be as prone to sliding. Just looking at them, though, it's hard to imagine they would be enough. Also this would mean I would need to trim the map a bit so that the grips can be adhered to the wood table top directly. Should I look to some sort of clear-drying glues?

Thanks for your help!

-S

Comments (12)