SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Any night shift workers to sympathize with me out there???

amylou321
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Guys, I am tired. Why? Because people have NO respect or consideration for people who sleep during the day. Today, I was awakened by my boss at 11 am, 4 full hours before i wake up. He sent me a text asking me to fill in for him a week from now on one of my days off. Seriously? You couldn't have asked me that on an email? It is a full week away!!! Okay. Deep breath. I text him back that sure, i will. I am almost back asleep when he sends me another one about the friggin ceiling tiles he took down for me so that i could prepare for my Christmas decor. Was I done with them? Uh, yeah, that's why i sent you an email telling you i was done with them and could you put them back up. I also thanked him for waking me up, as i wouldn't know what to do with myself if i ever got a full 8 hours sleep. This way, I said, I know i will up in time to go to work. His reply? "sorry. if you were sleeping why did you answer?" GRRRRR
Before anyone suggests it, I have my phone on Do Not Disturb for all general calls and texts, but a few people can get through in case I am needed for something. SO of course, my mom and sisters, and my boss and coworkers. I have often been called in early because someone went home sick. But this ticked me off.
This is just one incident though. I feel like most people, those who work "normal" daytime hours, do not respect or consider the night shift workers needs. My parents and siblings routinely tell me that i can "just take a nap for and hour or two" and get up and come to whatever gathering they are having when i am scheduled to work that night. Like I don't need a normal amount of sleep like they do! WTH?!?!?! I have had people who KNOW that not only do i work nights, but 12 hour shifts say to me: "It must be nice to be able to stay in bed all day while the rest of us are out working hard all day." AAAAAAND what are YOU doing while I am out working all night idiot?
Even at my own job. The day shift people love to point out that it is WAY less busy and stressful at night. That night shift is easy street. Yada Yada Yada. But yet, whenever they have to work the odd night shift, or i suggest switching with them so THEY can have an "easy" time of it, all i hear is WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT WANNAAAAAAAAA!!!
Ok. I'll do it. You're welcome. Now shut up and let me sleep so I can.
Are people really that dense? Do people really think that night shift is so much less important that the people who work it don't need as much rest as people who work normal hours? Or do people just not care as long as their own needs are met?
At least when my fitbit resets at midnight, I will go outside, workload permitting, and get my 10000 steps for the day in the cool air. That will give me a boost of energy I need.
NIGHT MINIONS UNITE!!!!!!

Comments (32)