SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tastie_cereale

Painting kitchen tile and grout

Tastie Cereale
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

I've looked through topics here and see others have asked same question. Not seeing any examples from people that have gone through with painting kitchen tiles.

I bought my house last year. The kitchen is very dated. Wood cabinets don't kill me, but the beige tile with brown grout that make up the countertop, backsplash and lower half of the walls is too much.

I don't have the money for major renovations right now. The one thing I am going to do is replace the countertop because it's cracking.

I've been researching options on the cabinets and wall tile, and at this point I'm willing to try my hand at painting the cabinets, but not sure about the tile. Demolition and replacement of the tile is beyond my ability, and I don't have the funds to pay a professional right now but I would like to try painting them to improve look of kitchen for at least a few years since I have little to lose from trying, as evidenced by the pics.

I have read several accounts of people who have purportedly successfully painted kitchen tile, however, I'm somewhat limited by certain health issues in that I can't use oil based or other products with strong odors.

Also, many of the tile painting demos I've read say to sand the tiles. Well I just tried that with a rough grade paper on my orbital sander- No change!? How's that possible? Plus, being an old, cheap tile, the chances that it contains lead are pretty high and I really don't need to be inhaling lead dust, nor do my dogs or cat.

So, uh, in light of the many issues outlined above- suggestions on the tile? My dad is a contractor and he suggested temporary fix of just placing drywall over the tiles. If he were nearby, I'd say go for it, but he's not and I'm not a contractor, so that won't work.

Let the ideas flow!

P.S. any idea why I can't add more than one picture??

Comments (155)