SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Rectified Tiles and 1/8th width grout line & color of grout.

susanlynn2012
12 years ago

I am picking up rectified 18 X 18 tiles for my kitchen that have been discontinued and the price is very good for the last bunch they have left over that is about the amount I need for my kitchen without moving the kitchen cabinets or appliances except for the refrigerator. I looked up the tile and it says they are a 5 PEI rating with a 2 color variation and the minimum recommended grout width is 2 MM (I looked this up and it is slightly skinnier than a 1/13th width). I really wanted as skinny as possible but it looks like I should do a 1/8th width. Right now I have a 20 year old rolling up discolored scratched and damaged Linoleum in a light color in the kitchen with a concrete floor under this. Is this width OK to use? What is the best grout brand and sealer to use since my last installer did not know how to use the Spectralock and I had to spend the day after cleaning a white haze off the tiles and it is staining bad from dog pee in the middle foyer where I put puppy pads. The front foyer is not too bad since that was done first and there are no puppy pads there. Unless I should try again with the Spectralock but find someone that knows how to use it but I am disappointed that it stained and I think I need a grout that I can seal. I do not want a color too dark. The tiles are an off-white but too me they are a tiny bit lighter than my Akoya Bone Tiles in my two foyer areas. The Ilva tiles have gray veins and shades of off-white, beige and taupe in the tile based on the samples I have here and I am having a tough time picking out a grout color. My neighbors brought out their bag of Polyblend Grout they bought from Home Depot and not from the store where they bought the tile and it says #3 on it and I do not see any grout labeled #3. There grout is a shade of white and is nice but it may be a little bit too white.

When I pick up the tiles on Monday, I can take pictures and post a few of the tiles if anyone wants to help with the selection of the grout color. I love the Mushroom color I used with the Akoya Bone tiles but it looks a little bit too beige with the two tiny samples I have here but I guess having bigger tiles will help me better.

The store suggested natural gray over the phone but I have oak cabinets and still have the almond laminate counter so I do not want gray grout. My appliances are all stainless steel and the little bit of wall showing on the soffit and where a backsplash will be one day when I change the counters out is BM Bone White.

Comments (22)