SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

What Is The Botanical Name Of The 'Common' Purple Passion Vine?

PoohBearLvr
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I know this is a odd question..but..what is the name of the VERY VERY common purple passion vine? The one you could buy at Home Depot or Lowes, in 2.5 gallon pots, for like $12-15?.....before they apparently went extinct?? I hope someone knows what I am talking about. It was/is the most common one, but I can no longer find it! Did it die off? Is it no longer available anywhere? I use to grow this here in south Fla. It would cover my chain link fence in weeks, and be covered in such fragrant blooms all spring-winter!!

The blooms open in the morning and close at night. I think all passion vines do that, but this one has the stamens that are like the cross, and turn to follow the sun?? As the day goes on?? Something like that, so it was also called like the 'Christ Passion Vine'?? I cant even find a picture of the bloom online!! Anyone have pictures of it?

All I find are these tiny rooted cuttings of hybrids, for ungodly prices, in 2in pots, for like $50! IF anyone figures out what I am talking about, can you tell me if it is now extinct? Or has it been taken off the market? I cant buy a cutting anywhere, let alone the huge pot of it at Lowes/Home Depot. Maybe if i get the correct name of it, I can search for it online. I keep finding hybrid purple passion vines, like this one.. Not the VERY COMMON one. Thank you. e second picture is the bloom!!!!

I JUST found the right bloom....here it is!!!

I found THE flower! This is it!!!!! BUT i cant find a name. I did a long search using 'common purple passion vine' as a search,it came up with a list of the 5 most common ones. This was at the top. But no name, or where to buy it. This is it. Can anyone tell me the name? And is ANYONE growing it??? Note the 3 lobed leaves on it. And the straight 'tendrils' IN the bloom. I cant erase the other bloom pic. sorry. I tried. THIS is it. Wow....what a long post!

Comments (36)