SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_506896319

Adding Slope To Tiled Porch With 2nd Story Above & Basement Below

Nathan Brentley
5 years ago

Hi! Hoping someone here may have a suggestion for me. Renovating a home just built (badly) in 2004 and the entryway porch (25 L X 8 W, covered) is leaking through to the basement. The porch is wood frame with OSB; the sides and front are stuccoed concrete blocks. Three large columns in the front. Doesn't look like there's any slope and water is pooling against the house and leaking through to the open basement below. I was planning to take up the tile and the OSB, but unsure how to add slope since the joists are existing and impossible to remove (they are part of the "house", not a freestanding porch). Anything that I do to add slope must be "on top of" the existing joists.

The front porch is part of the framing of the house - the joists under the tile are part of the floor system and the concrete blocks on the side and front are part of the foundation. So, I have to work with what's there. I can't tear down and rebuild it right.

The tile is about an inch lower than the threshold of the door. If I take up the tile and OSB, I could cut sloping "wedges" and screw them into the top of the existing joists, replace the OSB and add ditra. But, I'm not sure if those thin wedges would be stable and no clue what type of flashing against the house. Any ideas? Similar situations?

Comments (4)