SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuckertdog

1875 stone foundation bulging, floor above sloping

tuckertdog
18 years ago

Hi,

I'm the idiot first time buyer that looked at a house in the middle of winter in the snow! My low offer was accepted which should be a good thing!! The house is a little federal built in 1875 then remodeled at some point (1940's I think) into 2 apartments. Some of the work inside is not so bad, some things just odd like the 2 1943-47 120 gal H2O heaters (for 2 ladies-one upstairs and one down) that only heat up at night on the savings rate so water is tepid at best all day! Not to mention the sulfur/iron buildup that has me risking drying up the well, trying to flush them out! New H2O heaters are close to top of the list now!!!

Needless to say, there have been a few surprises! The breakers the listing agent swore were in there are fuses (but I didn't look until a blackout had me checking the box with flashlight in hand!), yet there is grounded wire run throughout...despite the 2 prong outlets! A bit of a roof leak but not in the main house and easily diverted until I can roof it for real. The unexpected stinky water reared it's ugly head on April Fools Day (I had been smelling the remains of treated water until I tried to clean and got to the real well water!!)

All the inspections came back with the A-ok. But when I have tried to speak to the foundation inspector, he's all excuses and very defensive. On the report he claims the stucco and loose stones can be removed and replaced. And states the problem is cosmetic. I have called a couple of times, once to correct my name, and another time to ask for a recommendation or names of contractors he knew in the area. Both times, he's sputtering excuses before I've stated the reason for calling...at this point, I just don't trust him no matter what he "inspected" or not.

The stone foundation has been coated numerous times with some kind of stucco to the point it is some 2-3 inches beyond and in some spots over the shingles. The latest of coatings (very new) has what looks to be fiberglass in it (I hope there's no asbestos stucco on the market now). Most is now chipping off. I'd just as soon chip the whole of it off and repair and re-point the stone...much prettier but can it be weather-proof?

The rooms above the faulty foundation are fairly straight to the halfway point then uniformly slope down like a slide. No cracks can be seen, but the walls and ceilings are definitely sheet rocked in that room. The wood floor is uniformly curved down some 2-3 inches over a span of about 4-5 feet. This slope aligns with an added enclosed porch on the front side that is sloping, too.

Mind you, the rear of the house has it's own slump but it is only on another added enclosed porch and attached room built on a bad slab that leads to the basement. The actual house seems fairly straight in the middle.

Do you think I'm looking at having to jack up the front to repair or is that another can of worms waiting to happen? The beam across the front looks straight and solid in the basement. Any ideas?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County