SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Hitting the slopes, again

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

DISCLAIMER - We are still waiting to find out it the title insurance people believe that the "house we have under contract" (we will call it, "HWHUC") has a driveway, or if we will have to be airlifted by helicopter in order to access the HWHUC. In the meantime, a girl's eye might stray to other properties ... it happens.

There have been many great responses to Olive'smom below in re the challenges of building on a sloped lot. They were very interesting and helpful.

I have a slightly different fact pattern and set of questions.

Here are the facts-
1. This lot has recently been relisted at a much lower price then when we started looking last summer, so it has no caught our eye anew
2 We weren't initially looking for a lot, but the other house we have under contract (HWHUC) is a teardown, so hey, a lot is just one step further descent into lunacy
3 This lot is about 8 acres, much larger then the HWHUC.
4. We have not seen the lot, but supposedly the views are comparable to the HWHUC, which I am skeptical of
5 The lot is very steeply sloped
6 The lot not only has ocean views like the HWHUC, but in the opposite direction are views of stone walls and farmland (under a conservation easement)
7 The listing broker has engaged an architect et al to give buyers some idea of what can be built (preliminary rough sketch below)

Here is the question:
Put aside for the time being the added costs of this vs the HWHUC (bringing in utilities, additional costs for excavation, grading, landscaping, building, etc) --- since we can get estimates on that and since we can adjust our bid accordingly.

I don't really know how to read a survey, but I am assuming the driveway starts at 40' above sea level (bottom left hand corner), and you are at 75' above sea level by the time the driveway ends.

Then, there is a deck on the second floor at 87.5 feet, and it is pretty flat from there to the cliff edge, 100 feet out from house (statutory minimum).

So it sounds like there won't be many badminton games or croquet on this property ... LOL.

But apart from that, what do you think of the aesthetics of such a steep slope? Is it too much?

Keep in mind the view is quite nice both back and front, although of course everyone prefers ocean.

But will it look comically steep? Like Dr. Seuss? Is it possible to make a house look "traditional New England" with this topography, or do I need to embrace modern (wincing).

As always, thank you for your time and insights, GW'ers.

Comments (16)