SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Pre-Slope, Slope, Drains, Membranes....I'm confused.

itltrot
10 years ago

The plumbing has been moved finally. Now we are close to starting the shower pan. I think I get a handle on it and then I get confused. So here I am confused. We are pretty capable DIY'ers but this is our first tiled shower pan.

We have a concrete slab. We recently rerouted plumbing and patched the floor where the shower is going. There is also a settling crack that has shown up in the new to be shower floor.

What do we need to do with the patch/crack before starting the pan?

I think I've got a handle on the pre-slope (I'll probably cheat and used the quick pitch products).

Then goes the membrane. I don't know what to go with at this point. Standard shower pan liner like oately or do I try the (scary to me) Laticrete or Kerdi products. My shower is an oddball size so I can't buy the preformed pans. At least I don't think I can. Shower size is roughly 36" x 66".

Then the shower curb. Do I just use the quick pitch curb or do I go with something from Laticrete or Kerdi?

Then the slope. Again, I'll probably cheat with the quick pitch slope products.

Now the drain. I give up on understanding when it comes to the drain. The divit method or flanged drains just make my overtired brain spin. All I know is I need one but beyond that I'm stuck.

Thinset and tile, no problem. We've done that a few times. The rest is all new and overwhelming me. I just want to do it right so I don't have to post on here in a couple months that my shower's not draining.

I appreciate any guidance I get.

Thanks!

Comments (12)