SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
candler_gw

Microsoft/Outlook Express Email Format

candler
4 years ago

Over years and years of computing I've occasionally been asked to reply about something and the screen defaults to a Microsoft and/or Outlook Express email format. I've never replied because I've never found a 'SEND" block. Just recently it happened again. I thought after 20+ years maybe I should ask what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for your help. Ron

Comments (18)

• azinoh
    4 years ago

If possible, post an image of what you're seeing. Otherwise...I'll take a stab in the dark: maybe the SEND button is there, but not clearly labeled as "send". Maybe instead it has a cutesy little icon that will show "send" if you hover the mouse pointer over it? That's just my best guess. Let us know if you find the answer.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Sometimes web pages are coded such that if a visitor clicks on a "send" button, it issues a command to the PC "Open Outlook".

When that happens, you can ignore it, close the message windows. If you hover over the "Send" button or link, often an email address will appear and you can use that to send a message using whatever website or means you prefer.

• candler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for responding folks. I don't do face book or the like. I don't know how to send an image via houzz. Being I don't respond when I get that format it might be a long time before I see it again. I appreciate your help. They give me thoughts to try other remedies. Regards. Ron

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

When you click the comment box see the little camera icon below it? Click that and navigate to the photo on your computer to upload it into your post. Mary

• dadoes
    4 years ago

I suppose it's possible but I'd be surprised if a web site can be coded to specifically open Outlook via an "e-mail us" or "contact us" link. The typical mechanism is that a "mailto:" link opens whatever is the default e-mail client program on the user's computer ... which may or may not be Outlook. I don't use Outlook, it's not installed on my computer. Mozilla Thunderbird has been my e-mail program of choice for many hundreds of years. :-)

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

I remember in windows 7 and before using IE if I had the option on a website to email the site it would sometimes open a mail client. After it happened the first time and opened a mail client I didn't use some one showed me how to set the default in my browser to the one I was using. You could also do as suggested and hover over the send button to get the actual email. I use Windows 10 and edge now but don't email from a computer anymore to know if this still happens. Mary

• candler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for helping me out. I came across the subject email format yesterday. I suppose Veterans Day jarred my brain. I was drafted in 1953. I got there in March, 1954. There was still some bad stuff going on notwithstanding an armistice had been signed. Tents are cold, cold. Anyway, I wanted to get on a site listed as "membership@kwva.us. " When I did it showed the subject email format we're talking about. As you can see it doesn't have a "send" block. Any help? Thanks.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

That is their email address. When you open your email to compose a blank email and put membership@kwva.us in the send too field won't it send? Mary

• candler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Does this clarify anything? Regards.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

Hope someone can help. Maybe you have to type something in the body first before the send button shows up? So if you email let's say a friend it doesn't do that, only with this particular address does the send button not show up when you copy and paste it in the send too field of your email client? I use mail apps for my AOL mail and 2 other servers so have never run across that. I am going to be curious to see how this gets solved. Mary

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

I wonder if they are clicking that email address on the website to bring up a mail client and it's not working? You should open your mail client outside of the website and copy and past the email address to send. What exact email client are you using and what version? Mary

• dadoes
    4 years ago

With the proliferation of web-based mail services, it's not unusual that the default mail client is not set up ... although opening the program in that case typically will start the configuration wizard, not a composition.

• candler
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Howdy. I thought I had the attachment rotated property. It is irritating I'm sure. Sorry about that. The purpose of the address shown on the attachment seems to show an expectation that someone is asking for a reply. It could just as easily have shown AOL, Yahoo, or the like but those usually have a "send" block. The attachment doesn't. It's only an example, folks, I thought others may have received responses in that format, too. Yesterday I saw the same format on an attorney firm's site I accessed. I've read your kind and sage advice. Now it's time for me to try to absorb what you've said. Thank you for the patience. I'm going to back off from asking questions for a while. Happy Thanksgiving. Ron

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

What mail client are you exactly using to send this email? Is your email client working fine with other addresses? I guess I am confused on how you are going about doing this. You open you email client, type in the email address and hit send. If the send button is not there I would think you email client is messed up. Mary

• breenthumb
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I haven't read everything here but I do use Microsoft Outlook Express regularly. You have to hit "reply" up at the top. Another screen will open for your reply and the send is on there too, at the top.

Hope I've understood you correctly and this helps.

• breenthumb
    3 years ago

Send has been moved to bottom of "reply" screen at the moment, but still easy enough to find from that screen.

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

Candler -- the image you posted is of an Outlook message, but it's Outlook using MS Word as the editor. I don't know why there isn't a visible "send" button, but I do know (from years working in the IT department of a large state agency - now I'm retired) that using Word as the e-mail editor often/usually causes problems. The option to use Word as the editor can be toggled off. I don't know what version/year you're using (e.g., 2010, 2016, 2019), so I don't know what steps to tell you to follow.