SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vee_new

OT Anniversary of the End of the Great War

vee_new
5 years ago

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh month we, in the UK, will be commemorating the end of the Great War;after four years of the worst fighting, bloodshed and death the modern world had ever known.

There are many TV and radio programmes detailing the various battles and conversations recorded over many years from those who took part or were left to wait 'at home'.

My own family were lucky in that there were no losses and my Grandfather although 'called up', had a dickey heart and was not sent abroad but spent the time in a tent on Salisbury Plain. My US Grandfather, once America had joined the War apparently spent the time worrying that he might be 'sent for'. Despite his nervous disposition, during the conflict he travelled regularly to the Continent for business either to Belgium or Paris so was always quite near the fighting.

A Great Aunt worked for a time in a munitions factory but turned yellow because of the chemicals used in production and her sister, my Grandmother was treated with suspicion by neighbours as her married name was Zimmerman and they thought she might be a German spy.

Do any RP'ers have family memories of those times? Is the War being commemorated where you live?

Comments (45)