SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Wed.: 75th Anniversary of 'Black Sunday'

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

I am not (thankfully) quite old enough to remember Black Sunday when the huge clouds of dust rolled across the Great Plains, but I've heard the stories and watched the documentaries and seen the photos. Personally, I cannot imagine the devastation this event caused, but locals who've lived here a very long time tell me that our property with its red clay (surface soil now, was subsoil then) used to have a big, thick layer of good soil before 'Black Sunday' and subsequent further erosion took it all away. Darn it! I guess we moved here 60 or 70 or 80 years too late.

Anyway, on Tuesday, I saw the linked info about the 75th Anniversary of Black Sunday on the NWS's Fort Worth Website although it originated at the Dodge City, KS, NWS website. I thought it interesting and linked it below.

Can you imagine what it must have been like to see the big black clouds of dust coming towards you? How in the world did everyone dig out and recover? I think those folks were really special because they had incredible endurance.

We don't have many folks here left in my county that I personally know who were here then, and we're losing them fairly rapidly as they're mostly in their 90s or very late 80s. Who will keep the history of the Dust Bowl days alive for everyone after they're gone?

So, although 'Happy Anniversary' sounds wrong in this case, it is nevertheless interesting to look at how much the ecosystem has recovered in 75 years. I have tried to imagine how different life in OK and the surrounding states could have been if so much of the topsoil hadn't blown away. What if we'd had no-till planting then? Or if deep mulch gardening had been widespread? Would the course of history have been different?

I find the photos at the end of the linked info just horrifying. Imagine having your vehicle and house half-buried (or more) by all that dust. Some of the old wise ones here have told me how hard it was to breathe and how the dust came into the house and just kept coming. Also, they have told how people and animals suffocated. It must have been a truly terrible time.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Sunday (Scroll to bottom to see photos)

Comments (14)