SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

DIY "bedsheet sleeping bag" for my elderly dad.

talley_sue_nyc
5 years ago

Bedsheet sleeping bag, for my elderly dad.

My elderly dad can’t wrestle the sheets on and off his thick queen-size mattress anymore. I need to create something that he can easily take off for washing.

It occurred to me that I could make a sleeping-bag-type thing, but out of bedsheets. And that he could lay that on top of the existing bedsheets, but sleep inside it, instead of between his existing sheets.

• It needs to be able to lie on the existing bedsheets without sliding all around and getting him tangled. (since he won’t be able to tuck it in),
  • It needs to be waterproof so that sweat and odor don’t transfer to the existing bedsheets, so he doesn’t have to wash them often
  • It needs to be comfortable to sleep on
  • Twin size, since it's only him, and he needs to be able to wrestle it around.

Will you look at my plans and tell me what you think?

THE SANDWICH FOR THE BOTTOM
Nonskid Layer
option 1: There is a high-chair splat mat that has little rubber dots on the underside, and the top is a polyester that’s touted as waterproof.
It’s 51” x 51”; the twin bed size is 38X80. I could get two of them , or I could just leave the bottom part out, or I could cut off the extra 12” or so from the side, and sew it on at the bottom.
Possible downside: will the little rubber dots be uncomfortable?

https://www.amazon.com/Wo-Baby-Washable-Waterproof-Anti-slip/dp/B07DC75RS9?th=1

option 2: Would flannel sheets resist moving when laid on top of an existing bedsheet? I seem to remember flannel boards from Sunday School as a kid.

Cushioning Layer

Mattress pad: I thought I might get a mattress pad, which would provide a certain amount of stiffening, and would perhaps cushion from the nonskid dots.
It would also allow some ventilation and maybe some waterproofing.

Sleeping Layer

A flat bedsheet. This would be the layer Dad would sleep on.

I’d stitch these together all around the outside.

TOP SHEET:

Another flat bedsheet. I could sew this to the bottom sandwich at the bottom edge, and maybe partway up the sides.

Dad could then use his existing blankets over the top of this.

I was hoping this would be simple enough to lay out on top of his bed, and still get into.

What am I missing? All advice* wanted.

(*except the advice to have someone else change his bed for him; we need something he can do himself)

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!