SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hurlee

gardening and age..

hurlee
14 years ago

Just wanted to share, I went to the library to hear a master gardener the other night and I was literally the only person under 70. There were some dear souls there with canes. Then I started to think, I do not have one friend my age that likes to garden and I often share plants or ideas with neighbors that are much older than myself.

Do you have to have an old soul to love gardening?

Comments (42)

• sarahrock
    14 years ago

I'm 30, and I also don't know anyone my age that's into gardening. And my other hobby lately is quilting, so I guess you could say I'm definitely an old soul. ;)

• token28001
    14 years ago

I'm 37 and male. Give that a try sometime. LOL.

I met a very interesting lady yesterday at the store. She used to be the county leader of a rose society. She gave me incredible information.

• Related Discussions

Offer: free tools for gardening and ag groups

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Greg, That's a very generous offer! I'm involved with the Community Garden Program in Hartford, CT. Hartford currently has 15 community gardens used primarily by low-income gardeners. Our gardens range from small 12-plot sites up to large 120-plot sites with room for expansion. Your tools appear to be an ideally affordable solution for inner city gardeners who simply cannot afford to rent a roto-tiller for initial plot preparation and cultivation. We would gladly welcome tool donation as IÂm sure most inner city community gardening programs would! Many large programs, such as ours, publish periodic newsletters. Tool donation in exchange for ad space sounds like a no-brainer. :-) Perhaps the easiest way for you to reach large numbers would be to join the American Community Gardening Association, and advertise your offer through them. Good luck with your venture! Dr. Anne Curr Oreo.jw@sbcglobal.net Here is a link that might be useful: American Community Gardening Association
    ...See More

Garden Weasel AG Crabgrass Killer

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the input petzold. However, the homeowner's association doesn't see it that way and, with young kids who run bare foot, the honey bees would be more appreciated up in the flower beds. Believe me, I do hate to kill the clover when I see the honey bees working it. I'm hoping by using this product, I'll at least kill the clover and not the honey bees directly.
    ...See More

The Dark Garden: New Age

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks for sharing. I hope more people will do that so we can revive this forum.
    ...See More

gardening when aging in place

Q

Comments (19)
    (I am the original poster) I like flowers, say perennials and annuals most. I like flowering shrubs and trees next. I like ground covers (in general) still less, and I do not like lawn at all. If it is green in the lawn area and growing I mow it as needed and that is about it for the lawn.. My landscape at my home reflects that system of priorities. I think I have more flower beds than most - virtually all the perimeter directly around my house and about 70% of the perimeter of my lot is planted, somewhat at least (no one seems to plant along the road here). (I am guessing the hard scape including house and driveway total is about 4000 sq ft., the beds (mixed shrubs and flowers) are about 4000 sq ft, and the lawn about 15000 sq ft. Of the 4000 sq ft of beds (mostly around the back) about 1000 sq ft is empty (of anything specific - too shaded by a stand of trees) and about 500 sq ft is in ground cover - (doing well under the same trees). Over time, I will only minimally increase anything that needs heavy maintenance (I plan that at least), and I will plan to make life easier (by mulching and not adding any new beds that do not serve a real purpose). If I can hire out the labor that I currently do myself, which is relatively unskilled, and not a lot of hours each week, I can probably be fine once I can no longer do everything myself. My original comment/ question was brought on by the 12 or so hours I recently spent "decommissioning" a compost pile maybe 6 cu yards that had been in place for over three years. It was a lot harder than I expected (I loaded wheel barrows by hand, obviously, but I also had to unload it a shovelful at a time - no room to dump things). In the future I will keep each year as a smaller batch of compost and use it up more regularly, rather than accumulating it that long. I have been looking at the forum "garden restoration" and it seems a lot of people when they can no longer do things themselves, just stop doing things, which is a shame. If "reasonably" maintaining the landscape is too expensive for me, down the road, that will be part of the decision about aging in place. I would miss my yard, but it is probably better to leave than to let it badly deteriorate. I say that now, and I hope to work at my yard at least the next ten years, but this has been useful to start to consider how to make later life better. (When I was unloading the pile I noticeably needed more and longer breaks than ever before on similar kind of work.)
    ...See More
  • ianna
    14 years ago

I'm in my early 40s and have enjoyed gardening since I was ohh about 10.

However I do get your concerns.. not too many young folks are into gardening. There is a though a rekindling of interest thanks to Michelle Obama's efforts to introduce children to vegetable gardening. At least this is a start.

Ianna

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I am one of those 'old souls' that has been gardening since 1965!~

I believe lots of young women with careers just don't have the time between work, children and their many activities to devote much time to gardening. I know my son and daughter certainly don't. I just hope as the children get older and the careers aren't so demanding that maybe being around it all their lives will rub off a little.

They sure do enjoy the fresh garden food!

• susie_gardener_2007
    14 years ago

I'm 57, but I've been gardening since I was in my 20s. And I'm happy that my 27-year-old son and his wife made a little backyard garden this year. They are teaching their children to garden. So we have gardeners of all ages in our family. It's so much fun!

• seamommy
    14 years ago

I'm 58, not young, but not quite old either. I wish I was your neighbor sarahrock, cause I have been a gardener since age 8 and quilter since I was 24. I have always had plants-I started with a corn kernel in a paper cup in second grade and I've been hooked ever since. I started quilting when I was in the Navy. I reported to my watch station at 2345 one night and the departing watch had a bag of quilt squares that she was piecing. So I asked her to explain it to me before she left and I spent most of the next 8 hours planning my first quilt. I didn't realize it at the time but it was a king-sized Around the World pattern with a sawtooth border. It took me most of the following three years to finish it, but I have probably made another 50(+or-) quilts since then. I don't think it takes an old soul, just a creative one.

You'll find a lot of gardeners your age if you organize a plant swap. We have one here in the Fort Worth area that meets twice a year and most of the people who show up are pre-retirement ages, ranging from mid-20's to mid-50's. We have had as many as 100 people show up for the swap, although our latest one only had about 30. Still, thats a nice-sized group and we all get along extremely well. We all look forward to the swaps, both for the plants we'll be taking home as well as for the gardening chat we'll enjoy with each other. Many of the folks have formed friendships outside of the swaps and meet on a regular basis to share info and stories about gardening.

I'm wondering if the yen to till the soil isn't sometimes a cultural thing. Everyone in my family likes to garden. My oldest brother sells plants and seeds on eBay, second brother has a vegetable garden that's bigger than his house. Youngest sibling grows his own pot in the corner of his bedroom in a trash can under a grow light.Youngest sister and I regularly swap plants and seeds of the things we love. My mothers family were Oklahoma share-croppers and Daddys family had citrus orchards in Beaumont. We come from a long line of dirt scratchers and I think it's in our blood from an early age. Cheryl

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

My mom got me interested in gardening when I was very young. I've always helped her, until last year, when I finally decided to garden more at my own house. I found out I love roses, which mom never grew much. Now she's started growing them, too. LOL

Most of my friends don't garden, they are more interested in spending their weekends going to the mall or the lake. I have one friend, who lives in town that isn't too interested in flowers, but she has a vegetable garden...and chickens!

My nieces and nephews all like coming out and seeing the flowers and trying some vegetables. That's the reason I'm trying to make the gardens child-friendly, so they'll enjoy it more and maybe want to garden themselves, as they get older :)

• natal
    14 years ago

The interest was always there, but it wasn't until early retirement that I really had the time to devote to it.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Well, I am very very lucky. We have a neighborhood of gardeners! There are two garden and at least three landscape architects within 3 blocks of me. There are at least two professional conservationists also gardeners. There are experience gardeners and so many newbies. I have worked incredibly hard to help cultivate new gardeners as have the two master gardeners who live in our community. Another girl is in Master Gardeners!
    Out of everyone I mentioned, I am pretty much the oldest person. We do have several elderly folks who garden, including a Sr. lady who plants our beautiful war monument (I live on Battle of Atlanta battle grounds) and a 96 year old woman who has a small yard filled with zinnias.
    To top it all off, we have some amazing child gardeners here - and each Jr. school as a school garden near me!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Ditto everything Gldno1 said, we even share the same birthday :). I might be a year older so does that make me the oldest one here? I come from a long line of gardeners (skip one generation) it's in the blood. I guess you could say I've been a gardener all my life, my youngest years I had to garden in spirit not having one of my own. In 65 I started gardening in earnest, I finally had a piece of earth to call my own, that was one of the happiest days of my life.

Unfortunately, a lot of young people today don't have the option of gardening, they work, work, work, just trying to make ends meet.

Annette

• irene_dsc
    14 years ago

Well, I'm 40, and I started really gardening about 10 years ago. I do know a fair amount of moms who also garden, both near me or through my online parenting forum. I think part of the difference is that younger gardeners are less likely to join garden clubs or go to lectures, etc. I probably am one of the more serious (obsessed?) gardeners of the ones I know near my age. Well, besides the guys in the landscape profession - I have one neighbor who is a landscaper, and one of dd's friend's dad is a landscape architect who also likes to garden, and both of them are my generation.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

I dont know if its really about having "time" to garden, rather than the "want to". I will be 50 this yr, and I feel ancient. But I know absolutely no one, even near my age that gardens other than your standard veggie garden. Come to think of it, there is no one I know who gardens...period. I have also loved sewing, quilting,knitting,etc for many yrs. Probably since I was about 8.
    lavender_lass mentioned :
    Most of my friends don't garden, they are more interested in spending their weekends going to the mall or the lake

When my kids were small we went to the lake, camping every other weekend, plus a week long vacation in june/july. I also raised 5 kids and worked as a nurse,plus furthered my education. But with all that on my plate, I still found pieces of time to do things I loved.Didnt happen often. And I might not have had the most elaborate, or most gorgeous garden around, but they were mine. Ones I had bought hear and there and learned to divide and mulitply in attempt to cheaply landscape our home that we built by ourselves..together.The only time I think there is a local interest in gardening is when I see people plant shopping at Lowes etc in spring. I never see any results tho, but only you guys and family see mine.
    Tammy

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Tammy- I don't know why people in our area don't seem to want to garden. Maybe it's our long winters and short, but hot summers. There are a lot of lakes and camping areas in our part of the state. I know people are busy working (as am I) but if it's important, you seem to find the time. I'm hoping gardening will become more popular in the future :)

I have to say, Lowe's is always busy, so someone must be gardening. LOL

• token28001
    14 years ago

As for Lowe's, I can tell you that the majority of our business comes from the same people over and over. I don't know what their yards look like, but they either kill a lot of plants or have acres to garden in. I see them two, three times a week buying more. There are people who replace shrubs, garden with veggies only, etc, but the flowers are purchased by a good sized core of customers. I know many of them by name now.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

What Ianna said!! Younger people don't have time for meetings, imho. I think many garden for instant gratification when younger. When we get older, we seem to start reflecting on all of our mistakes/dead plants. lol. I don't think I'm old - 56 - but I feel it right now with my bum knee. As to it being cultural, yeah, maybe. I was raised by gardeners, vegetable raisers, in semi-country, where this was quite normal, in a time when it was quite normal. Not to get all anthropological, but the 50 and 60's in much of NA were about instant cakes, frozen TV dinners, and supermarkets. I think the last 10 years have seen a backlash to all of that. We started talking about whole grains, organic vegetables, free-range eggs, and the 100-mile diet. Let someone who has bought eggs from, say Price Chopper in the US, not to dis them, have a fresh free-range egg, eg, they will understand the difference. We have friends in Rochester, NY who will now only buy organic milk, since they found out about BGH in US milk and its affect on their tween daughter. We all got lazy, now we know the consequences. Geez, when that soap-box get under my feet - sorry, I'll shut up now!!

Nancy.

• ianna
    14 years ago

Hahaha Nancy - you're funny but your right about many things. Gardening is an interest that is passed on from parents to children. I've influenced my daughter solely because of my enthusiasm in gardening. She has the skill now at age 8 but I don't force her to do gardening as a task. Without parents introducing the fun to young folks, gardening can be viewed as a chore.

-- so let's do our bit to promote gardening but simply introducing young children to any form of gardening - never mind if they kill the plant... This will ensure the kids will take up the hobby when they get settled in later life.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Ianna- I so agre with you! My grandmother taught me to bake chocolate chip cookies when I was 3. She teased me later that I made quite the mess, but she made it so much fun :)

I still love to bake (especially chocolate chip cookies) and I know it's because she took the time to make it fun...not a chore.

• barbara2007
    14 years ago

I have to share my story. My knees and legs are so painful I work for about three hour at a time. I have my gardens all in good shape but I was wondering who is going to keep my yard looking nice when I can't. I asked my 7 yr old grandsom if I could teach him to garden for me when I get old. He looked at me and very quistly said "Grandma you are already old, and besides your shovel is just to big for me. Bless his heart.

Keep hoeing
    Barbara

• DYH
    14 years ago

I will be 57 this year, but I've been gardening since I was 20. My grandmother was my influence when I was growing up. During my 20's, many of my friends gardened (both veggies and flowers). Those were the days, my friend.. peace, love, etc! :-)

It's only been in the last four years that I've had an extensive garden (because I'm semi-retired...I left my career and do a bit of freelance writing to pay for my plants and travel).

My son is 26 and definitely wants to garden (this one) some day. He quizzes me constantly about what's growing in the garden and how to take care of it. Now, he's an archaeologist and travels constantly for his job. He gave me another KO rose for Mother's Day before he left last week.

• aimeekitty
    14 years ago

I'm 30, work a fulltime demanding job and have several other hobbies...

but I make time to work in my garden several mornings a week before work and on the weekends as I can. I find it peaceful and a really nice way to start my day before work.

Many friends my own age do not have their own houses, or have small places that don't really have space to garden. I'm lucky that my husband and I were able to find a larger place we could afford with a bare plot of land. I think the bare dirt is what most inspired me to really get into gardening, though I've always loved plants. Our previous home already had a lovely garden, so for some reason, I just wasn't interested in learning about it/changing it.

I try to encourage my friends to replace X random plant in their garden with a beautiful tree or a rose, but most of them just don't have the interest or time.
    Though I do have a couple friends about the same age as me who often go in with me on my unusual garden plant online orders (like my recent clematis order)

:)

• ianna
    14 years ago

aimeekitty, I want to share this article which I read so many years ago. It was so inspiring to me then when I had been living in a tiny apartment with a small balcony. I still managed to grow a tiny vegetable and herb garden in a very small space. I hope it encourages your landless friends too.

Here is a link that might be useful: rooftop vegetable garden

• flowergirl70ks
    14 years ago

I will be 77 soon and I planted my first seed when I was 5. I just adored my Dad and followed him everywhere. He helped me make a straight row and showed me how to plant radishes. Somewhere around here I have a picture of that row when they came up.
    My Dad and uncle ran a nursery and flower shop. Back in those days carnations didn't come from Holland or Ecuador, they were raised right there in the greenhouse. To keep the stems straight, a string was tied to the stem and then to a long pipe bar overhead. My job was to tie the stems up.We also raised gladiolas and delphiniums in our back yard. Those days are long gone, but I cherish all those
    good memories I have of my Dad. Gardening is truly good for the soul. Remember who the first gardener was.I have so many beautiful peonies blooming now. My next goal is to learn how to put pics on here.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I can't explain why some like to g@rden and others don't but I've always loved plants and have had a g@rden or houseplants when that wasn't possible all my life. My parents were avid g@rdeners but my children (in their 30's and 40's) only g@rden a bit. Perhaps when they are older and less busy they will g@rden more.

Even when I worked full time, with kids still at home, and a busy life in every way I made time to g@rden. I loved weeding very early in the morning before anyone else was up even tho I worked long hours at my job. I found it rejuvenating, not tiring. I'm now 68 and hope to continue g@rdening for many years altho it doesn't get easier as it is tiring physically but very rewarding when it looks the way I want. Even when I no longer feel able to have a g@rden I will likely have houseplants altho right now I don't because we often travel.

• blueberryhills
    14 years ago

I have several friends who garden, some my age, some 20+ years my senior and some are even male (lol! token). I wonder sometimes if the age of instant gratification we're living in is not a factor. Gardening takes patience and time. One of my girls (10) was complaining recently that her garden "looked terrible and she wasn't going to have ANY blooms this year". Her original theory was that she would plant mostly perennials so she wouldn't have to replant every year, so I reminded her of other parts of the garden that were more established and how hers would fill in within a couple of years. She was incredulous. A couple of YEARS????? LOL! We'll be going to the green house to get her some annuals to fill in the blanks, because I don't want her to get discouraged. Her twin sister, however, is perfectly content with her section and recently told me she 'just doesn't have room for anything else'.

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

I have noticed that while I have always loved plants and had a garden, I was not the caretaker that I am now.

As others have said, when you have a family (children) there are so many calls on your time. DH griped about my buying plants, because they weren't always promptly planted, and I wasn't a good weeder.

Nowadays, he never fusses, even when I take over more and more of the lawn, because everything gets planted, and I take care of business when it comes to weeding. (Preen is a big help there.)

kay

• memo3
    14 years ago

I only have one friend that enjoys gardening but she does it on a pretty small scale compared to my obsession with it. I started gardening pretty much on my own when I was 8 or 9. I would babysit my younger siblings and my mother would pay me in seed packets. I was thrilled with the arrangement. It wasn't until years later that my mother started to garden. I think I am an old soul. I prefer doing things the old fashioned way, I grow our vegetables most of the time and I also quilt, sew, etc. I adored spending time with my grandmothers just so I could learn how to do everything the way they did it. My kids...could pretty much care less about gardening except for my oldest who currently lives in base housing and is not allowed to plant a thing there. So sad. She was just beginning to dabble in it.

MeMo

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

I have been gardening most of my life, but really got into in in the 60's. I had 3 great uncles that were county agricultural agents.
    When I was in high school, I would go with one to pick veggies in the fields. The farmers down there would tell him to help him self.

All 3 of my boys have gardened at one time or another. But my oldest is more like me.
    Years ago while living in base housing he planted a clematis near the front door. People would stop and ask what it was. He will be here tomorrow to dig up his iris, daylilies and lirope. He brought them here for me to care for while their house was being built. Also, there are about 6 bird planted redbud saplings he will dig up to take home.
    When they lived in OK I gave him some plants. One of which was a columbine. He called one day and asked me what was the flower that looked like little spaceships.

My oldest granddaughter asks me about plants. They just bought their first house so I expect they will be gardening once things settle down.

• timetogrowthegarden
    14 years ago

Well, I am 36 and I don't have too many friend my age who garden. Many of them admire my garden but say they don't have the patience. In reality, I think it just doesn't interest them enough to want to try. Also, out of all our friends, DH and I are the only ones our age who own their own home. That is especially true now with all the foreclosues and layoffs. We have been blessed to be able to have good jobs that allow us to pay our mortgage and have money left to plant a garden. I have a few friends who will plant container gardens or put a tomoto plant in a topsy turvy but the land lords around here generally frown on tenants digging up the lawn to make a veggie bed or plant a rose garden.
    My late grandmother back in Michigan had a wonderful garden. It had a veggie bed, cherry trees, wandering gravel paths, two fish ponds, a stream and a small foot bridge. I use to love hanging out in that garden. Growing up, if my mom had dirt to plant in she planted...no matter how small the garden may be. Today, my kids are getting into the spirit of gardening. My son and daughter both love planting seeds and helping me dig. They both understand the importance of bees and earthworms and show both more respect than you would expect from kids their age. My son is even starting to recognize the "good bugs" and cheers them on when he sees them. I am not sure if they will be gardeners when they grow up....anything can happen. However, I do know that they will have fond memories of gardening with their mom to carry with them where ever they may go.
    ~Melissa

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

I am 61 and started gardening about 30 years ago. Dug up the grass where my main garden is, planted some seeds, and the seedlings got washed out when we had a lot of rain. That didn't stop me though, and on a shoe string and with some blood, a whole lot of sweat and some tears, we're now surrounded by our tropical/cottage style gardens. These days I have enough to handle, don't plan on starting any more gardens or beds, but try to keep up with what I have, weeding and filling in with cuttings and seeds from what does well here in our heat and humidity. DH does the hardscaping and now helps me with stuff that is too much for me to do by myself. I love gardening, and it is wonderful to have met and been inspired by fellow gardeners in forums and blogs.

I work part time, and now that summer is here for us, I try to get out into the gardens early and in before 10. The heat and humidity just drain us of all energy and sometimes makes us feel sick. We drink lots of water, and stay indoors during the hot part of the day.

I want to thank all of you here for the inspiration and encouragement, and seeds shared through the years. You've added to my life and my gardens.

FlowerLady

• catalinagrey
    14 years ago

I'm 26, but I've been gardening for my entire life. I was born into a gardening family - LOL! I don't really know anyone who gardens like I do, besides my parents. Some of my friends are starting gardens this year and they have been asking me for advice, which is fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• Annie
    14 years ago

I'm 58 - been gardening since I was a child, but really got into it when I was 21. I was one of those hippie/naturalists/environmentalists that got into Organic Gardening and "back to basics" living in the 1970s. I am still there! I still have most of my old news print "Organic Gardening" magazines, printed on brown, recycled newspaper and Mother Earth News, which was really news and full of do-it-yourself things.

But for most people, perhaps, the explanation is that when you get older, kids are gone, have more income, settled, or whatever, you find you have more time (and perhaps money, too) to devote to gardening. It helps supplement your income too, growing your own fresh veggies and many older folks need that and enjoy food that still tastes like food used to taste.

I was the exception when I was a young adult, too.

I experienced the same situation when I began doing Genealogy back in 1975. NO ONE else in those archive rooms or records places was under 50 or 60 except me! The older folks loved it that I was so interested in my 20s. They were very helpful and full of encouragement. Soon, I began helping them. :)

Enjoyed this topic.
    Thank you.

Gotta go out and water my garden now.
    Later.

~Annie

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Another 58 year-old hippie/etc here, Annie!

My serious gardening started 20 years ago. Now, I can't do as much because of joints that refuse to stoop/kneel, pull, etc for any length of time. I am looking at tons of weeds this year and pulling a few at a time. Trying to convince myself that those dandelions really are oh-so-lovely. It's not working-lol.

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Cyn, just keep the blooms picked off the dandelions. They are wonderful aphid magnets.

• Annie
    14 years ago

Of course, I was referring only to those who may have an interest or develop an interest in gardening. Not everyone does or will, not matter what.

The young are usually more interested in things to do that are exciting, risky, and all about fame, sex and the pursuit of a partner. Nowadays, that just about describes every-freaky-person in America. We have become a vain nation - how things "look" is more important than anything. It doesn't matter if you are healthy as long as you look good...or the latest interpretation of what that's supposed to be. Money and time are spent chasing monetary things and virility, and that elusive butterfly called eternal youth.

Some people are dreamers;
    Some people are thinkers and some are doers;
    Some are builders;
    Some a destroyers;
    Some feel called to pursue a life of beautifying, maintaining, and /or restoring the "natural world". Among them are the gardeners.

But, hey! Different strokes for different folks.

~Annie

• msmisk
    14 years ago

sarahrock & seamommy - I'm a gardener and a quilter too !!
    I'm 55 and belong to a small quilting group of ladies who are all in their 70's - they're gardeners too. I also have a younger group of quilter friends, but they don't garden.

I was hooked on the gardening when we started radish seeds in empty egg cartons in 2nd grade. My grandmother, who also gardened, taught me to sew (clothes). I started quilting in my 20's when friends started having babies and I made baby quilts. I'm equally devoted to both hobbies.

Carol

• jenangelcat
    14 years ago

My husband and I attended a garden show last year and we were the only people there under 65 (he's 32, I'm 29). We got a lot of stares, it was awkward.

Both neighbours are avid gardeners and one is in her 40's the other in her 80's. I don't know anyone my age that gardens.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

Sweet Annie - the french have a saying - chaq'un a sa gout - each one to their own taste!! lol. But I know what you mean. In mid-20's I became very 'Harrowsmithy' - Harrowsmith is a magazine a bit like your Mother Earth, I think. I also got Organic Gardening, but I think later than you. I got my then DH to create a veg garden for me 20' X 40' - he used a roto-tiller - god love him, I spent a lot of time pulling out the sod clods!!! That was when I discovered composting. We lived on a river, so he put a pump in for me. Every sprinkler I used got clogged with sand! Not the sharpest tool in the shed, and he grew up on a farm, though it was a rock farm - lol. His mother was Mother Earth - she never said a thing till Fall - she fully expected this girl's garden would fail!! She was suitably impressed that I not only fed us, I made pickles, tomato sauce, etc. And she let me know how impressed she was. The hardest part of leaving him, was leaving her!!

Nancy. - PS - I love this thread!!!

• ladypat1
    14 years ago

I started gardening at 25, when we got our first house. Mom did some flower gardening, but had too much shade. I am 56 and have more flowers now than ever in my life. Friends want my yard, but don't want to do it when they figure out how much work it is. I was going to join the garden club in the area, but as someone stated before, all were over 70. A plant swap was the same way. My friends, too, are at the mall or the lake. Gardening is a nice solitary hobby, but that's what makes lurking here so much fun!

• ianna
    14 years ago

gar dening rocks.. Hahah.. It's quite hip. Take a look at this blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: You Grow Girl

• pyxiwulf
    14 years ago

I'm 31, and I've been gardening my entire life. I think for me it's cultural, both sides of my family are multi-generational gardeners and I grew up in my grandparents' gardens. My kids love it too, my oldest having attended a school with an agricultural curriculum for a couple years, they really understand the benefits of it. Most of my friends my age garden too (in fact, I'm spending the next week digging beds for a good friend who just bought a house so she can move her balcony garden into the ground), but for them a lot of it is that they are locavores, and it's a necessity. I don't think most of them come from a culture of it. We all do have the benefit that not only are we stay-at-home moms, but we homeschool our children so it's curricular for us too. We don't have to spend one second justifying our time doing it.

• loganlady
    14 years ago

I'm 57 (really...I am?...sheesh)...and I've been gardening since 1977 or soo. My parents were fantastic gardeners and had a huge yard to plant in. Unfortunately back then I was a teenager who was sent out back with my sisters many times to weed, weed, weed. I hated it.
    Now I have had a few houses and yards of all shapes and sizes that I had gardens in. Some small and this "last" yard is the biggest. Almost an acre of land that I doubt I will get it like I want it but that's okay. I am choosing the areas that I want to do my thing with and so far it's happening!! Our neighbors love my flowers. Not many gardeners out here-there are more ranchers. I do have a good friend who loves to garden so we share information,etc...she is from Michigan. My son likes to grow hot peppers and tomatoes for salsa,etc...my daughter has a brown thumb but her husband loves to grow vege's so we are always talking how to do this or that. I want to meet other gardeners out here. I am not working so I have the time. Just need to get out and meet other gardeners here!

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

My granddaughter absolutely loves gardening, planting seeds, digging and picking flowers and vegetables She's 5.

Sponsored