SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

nooks, crannies, secret areas?

tetrazzini
15 years ago

I'm indulging myself here. I'd love to see pictures of interesting little areas of your old houses, especially tucked-away or "secret" ones, attic rooms, staircases, butler's pantries, anything else....

We put a second floor on a completely dull and quite ugly 1968-era ranch house, transforming it completely. My goal wasn't so much to add more room, though we nearly doubled the size. My real desire was to add some architectural interest to a very dull house. It's certainly a lot nicer, but now, 7 years later, I find myself fantasizing about adding something else, like an 8'x8' square room with windows an all four sides, on top of the roof. (There's a name for these, but I don't know what it is.) With a secret staircase leading to it. I'll never do it, but I have fun thinking about it. I've been in only a few old houses with really cool features like those I mentioned, and I'd like to see more. I love the way old houses weren't all standardized and minimalized down to the bare essential rooms, or roomettes, that we see now.

Do any of you have any pictures you want to share?

Comments (36)