SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

A few pictures from the past few days

Lisa Adams
5 years ago

As usual, they will be in the comment. It’s been a while since I’ve started a post, so I’ll try up here, in case something‘s changed for the better.

Duchess de Brambant, full of blooms and powdery mildew.

Comments (27)

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, that didn’t work. Here she is in all her mildewed glory.

Duchess de Brabant I just realized it’s misspelled up above, but I’m not able to edit it:(

Boscobel bloom

Boscobel bush, planted in May

Carding Mill

Bolero has pink some pink from the cool nights. I love this rose, and have three of them.

Cornelia has done nothing but impress me this year. She’s been blooming since spring and is still forming new buds.

Love Song is another winner here. It’s been in a half barrel for years, and is just as happy as can be. This bloom is enormous!

Not the best picture, but it was in an awkward spot.

Baronne Prevost surprised me with three last blooms. Lisa

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Lisa, the one word that comes to mind about your roses and garden is 'charm'. I suspect that word applies to you too.

Lisa Adams thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Iisa, thank you for sharing you lovely blooms. They are so glorious and healthy

You are the only one that I have heard from that has a thriving love song, you have the magic touch

I love Bolero as well. It is a great rose.

Lisa Adams thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    5 years ago

Great bloom Lisa!

Lisa Adams thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • User
    5 years ago

Lisa, your roses are beautiful as usual.... do you prune 'Baronne Prevost'? or just let it go do what it wants.... I've never pruned mine back because I don't want to, and I've not had later blooms so far... and we've had a lot of heat this year...

Lisa Adams thanked User
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone. Trish, you’re so sweet. Kristine, I keep reading about how Love Song starts going downhill after the first year or two, but mine has been wonderful. It’s thriving in a container in full sun, and doesn’t get much attention. I haven’t done anything special for it, just water and I throw some homemade compost in there occasionally. Mine is a grafted one, and I think this rose does best grafted. It’s a real heat lover, too. Marlorena, I do prune Baronne Prevost, and I’ve have blooms on and off all season. I just now noticed that there’s another cluster of blooms forming. I have been cutting it back very hard in January, and then again after the spring flush,(not quite as hard as the first pruning.) Then, I continue to cut some canes back after they’ve bloomed again if they are super tall. So far, it’s been keeping it from becoming enormous and still blooming quite a bit. I don’t know if this is the “right” way to prune Baronne Prevost, but it’s working for me!

The Faun has also been wonderful all year. I do need to cut away some of the lavender plant, nearby. It’s now about 4F wide, and crowding The Faun.

It’s an easy morning to take pictures. Monday morning is trash truck day, and even though it happens every week, the kitties are still afraid. They want to stay inside on trash day, so no chasing kitties for me on Mondays.

Millie

• User
    5 years ago

Lisa, thanks for that advice.. I guess I should be pruning mine, so I'll remember what you do for next year perhaps.. it has a long season of bloom for me, but not later ones...

I understand about your pets not enjoying all the racket... here we are having Bonfire Night right now, fireworks going off everywhere.... fires burning... and Guy Fawkes actually threw himself out of a window...

Dogs hate it... mine is terrified to go out at the moment... I do wish they would bring this ridiculous custom to an end somehow.. but we all enjoyed it as kids....

Lisa Adams thanked User
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    Lisa, they look so beautiful. I am so jealous of everyone's blooms. I barely have any as a matter of fact I pinch off so many buds which was so disheartening due to Thrips. So, it is great to see everyone's blooms. Seems roses loves fall.
    It rain here all day and night yesterday and the day before. Today , I got a chance to go and see my roses. I have a few buds here and there but roses are still recovering. It is taking some time now .

jin
    Lisa Adams thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

A few pics but I see tons of buds. I can only post 4 pics as Houzz won't be nice
    I hope my pics are in order as I see them. 1st pic is Heritage.2nd is Mr. Lincoln , 3rd is L. D. Braithwaite, 4th is Baronne prevost. The fifth I will post after I post this one.
    As you can see some leaves if LD is still thriped infected.
    jin

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Lisa, how very beautiful these blooms are, and even Duchesse de Brabant is showing very little mildew and the flowers are lovely anyway. I remember having Love Song for years in Sacramento, had no idea it was an iffy rose. I wonder if it's deteriorated since then (I know I have!) I'm jealous of your Faun. Mine is a shadow of its former self, half-eaten and no bloom or bud for months now. I probably should take it out since it will never grow tall enough to thwart the rabbits. I have several perennials that need a home, including a scabiosa that supposedly has 4-inch blooms and a monkey flower (mimulus). They are both an experiment since I will have to see what the lagomorphs think about their edibility. Your Cornelia is such a pretty rose.

I so want to hug your sweet Millie. I feel a twinge when I see her missing leg but I'm sure she never gives it a thought. My concern is about her other leg holding up since you had indicated possible issues. I so want her to have a happy life.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Jin, that photo of Heritage is breathtaking.

And Lisa, so is yours of the Faun. What a beauty.

Lisa Adams thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That last picture of Heritage is gorgeous! I really like the looks of that rose, and always have. It’s just too big for me and I hear the blooms shatter quickly in dry heat. Jin, don’t feel so bad about bugs. I’ve had an onslaught, as well. I’m fairly certain that I had chili thrips for the first time starting in August. Everything was looking terrible. It’s cooler now, so things are looking better, but I know they’ll be back. I SO wanted that damage not to be from chilli thrips, but the more I read, and the more pictures I see, the more certain I feel. I’ve never had them before, and this summer was an unbelievable bug fest in my garden.

Ingrid, I worry about Millie’s remaining leg holding up, too. She “limps” worse than ever, and is stiff with these cold mornings. I put limps in quotes, because it’s difficult to describe her gait. When she runs, she lopes almost like a hyena, but she’s bent over with her curved spine. She’s used to it, and we’re used to it, but when someone sees her for the first time they feel pity and shock. They soon get over it, as she greets them with her happy chirps, and begging for love. She loves everyone, especially small children and women. She wanted to go with every cute little trick or treater that came to the door the other night. Only the boy in the gorilla suit was deemed “not good”.

I took a few more pictures this morning, before the sun came out.

Golden Buddha has bloomed nonstop all year.

Ralph Moore’s ‘Silver Cloud’

It seems that I have my very own “Miss Willmott” around here. I definitely didn’t plant the orange coneflower at the beginning of this row of roses. Someone entering the park(grass on left) must have. I’m leaving it, as I think it’s cute, but I wish it wasn’t ORANGE:)

Clematis and Flamingo Gardens Tea

Annie Laurie McDowell doing what she loves doing, blooming!

Lisa

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Lisa, I just saw this thread. Everything looks glorious! I love how Cornelia drapes so elegantly. The faun looks perfect with the lavendar backdrop. And Millie looks so sweet! Our most special garden friends!

Jim, your Heritage is so full and gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa Adams thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

Lisa, your garden is just magical. The colors, the combinations, so lovely. And I’m really smitten with Millie and her story! What a precious creature!

Jin, that’s one of the most beautiful photos I’ve ever seen of Heritage! Great job! :-)

Lisa Adams thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! Tiffany, I wasn’t very happy with Cornelia until this year. She had been only producing a few blooms at the ends of her long canes. This year, she hasn’t stopped blooming. I still see plenty of little buds forming, so she’s not finished yet.

Lots of different plants are enjoying the cooler fall temperatures, like this perennial Impatiens sodenii.

And this Iochroma cyanea ‘Mr. Plum’

Thanks, Perma! Millie is special for sure. She’s such a happy girl, and enjoys the garden SO much. Lisa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

What a gorgeous picture, Jin. Heritage seems very happy in your garden.

Lisa, 'Silver Cloud' is a revelation! I love seeing roses of yours that I didn't know you had. I'm so happy to see the photo of 'Annie Laurie McDonnell'. She has the best possible home with you and looks absolutely lovely. Thank you for introducing me to iochroma cyania! I notice Annie's Annuals has this one and a few other varieties and I'm all in since they grow way above bunny height and hummers and bees love the flowers. This forum is wonderful for "cross pollination" of not only roses but other plants that are lovely and useful in the garden, which might otherwise not have come into one's purview.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

So beautiful, the roses and companion plants. Lochroma is new to me, love the color of it!

Jin, your Heritage looks like porcelain with the shell pink color, my favorite rose color!

Lisa Adams thanked Krista_5NY
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone. It is the only rose that bloom. Most of them are recovering but perhaps winter will be better for me. I hope, summer and fall has not been that good. But , I really learned a lot.
    Lisa, I love your companion plants . Both are different, unique and beautiful.
    Lisa, now I understand why you love Annie's . Also your love for flowers. I think my weakness is pretty flowers too.
    jin
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Thanks for posting more pics of Cornelia Lisa! I adore the beautiful bright buds before she opens, so pretty!
    5 years ago

A few open a few ago, this are still baby roses that I got end of June.
    George Washington Richardson . The rose is thick and no wind is going to shatter this petals. It open yesterday . No scent
    Below is RJG, Let me see if I am going to mess up spelling. Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux or something like that. I can smell something but it is very faint.
    The last one is David Austin rose but I cannot remember the name.
    Okay, I got it. Lady Megginch. I love the color but I got sides track . I totally forgot to smell it .

Lisa, I hope my Cornelia will be like yours.
    jin

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

They are sooo pretty Jin—you’ve done really well to get them through the summer, so maybe now you get some rewards. :-)

Lisa Adams thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    5 years ago
    Really pretty Jin! It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who struggles to spell some of these beauties! Thank you!
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I only grow roses that I can spell and pronounce

Lisa Adams thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • pippacovalent
    5 years ago

Hahaha...Kristine!

Lisa Adams thanked pippacovalent
    5 years ago
    Kristine, I should join you. Should get roses that I can pronounced. Last week, I went for my rose meeting. We we're all pronouncing Souvenir de Umi. Over and over . It is different than how it is spell as. more like DunNamay. which means a friend. But one I can never say is Rosa de Rescht. worst part I have that rose.
    Lisa, how old is your Cornelia ? I have that rose as you know but how do you deadhead the blooms ?
    I am just curious :)
    jin
    5 years ago
    Perma, thank you, so you know I am the one who brought leaves to troubleshoot problems...lol
    Like souvenir de Umi. Shhhh !!!

jin