SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessrp

How do I make decisions before getting a bid?

Jessica P
5 years ago

Ok, I am feeling COMPLETELY overwhelmed about our build. I have read up on here, and realize that I need to make as many selections and decisions beforehand (and included into the bid cost). How do I realistically do that? For example.....I would LIKE to have hardwood floors, soapstone counter tops, a brick fireplace, etc. But I am not sure how those options factor in to our budget. If we have X amount of dollars we are willing to/able to spend on counter tops, and the counter tops we want are way too expensive....then we will be going with corian. If our flooring that we want comes in at a crazy price....we will compromise. So I can't specify exactly what I want because I am not knowledgeable enough about construction prices to know exactly what is in line with our budget. This is our forever home. We know upront that we are willing to compromise on certain things (which we will upgrade over the next couple decades). For example, we know we probably can't spring for the nice real hardwoods we eventually want. We are ok with getting vinyl or laminate now and upgrading to real hardwoods in 15 or so years. Do I just pick the builders' brains when we have our initial meeting before we do bids? Because I can look at pricing of different flooring, backsplashes, counter tops, etc....but I am lost about the cost of labor/instillation related to each different option. My husband is pretty much leaving all decisions and most planning to me, and I am feeling the heaviness of that. I'm trying to be grateful I'm getting to do this (build a custom home on family land).....but I'm petrified I'm going to screw something up by not doing my due diligence. Thank you so much for any advice or feedback. I am so grateful to have this forum as a resource.

Comments (30)