SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Follow up on Eye Surgery

Funkyart
5 years ago

As some of you may remember, I had the first of 2 surgeries on my eye in Sept. The surgery is much the same that young children have for amblyopia or strabismus -- well, it is exactly the same but the challenges are different because little brains are much more adaptive/resilient and also because I had 50 years of mostly normal vision (albeit with an extreme astigmatism in my left eye). I had two surgeries so that my brain could adapt to the partial correction rather than one big step which would have sent me into a tizzy and would likely have caused issues with work, walking, etc.

I had my second post-op checkup and things are healing well-- he wants to do one more check before my next surgery to allow my eye to heal/brain to adjust a little more. Surgery will be either early Dec or early Jan.

The prognosis is good. He is 100% confident that he can address my double vision-- but he believes it's likely that my brain will still suppress the image from my left eye and that it could still "turn out" at times-- surely much less frequently but it's not likely to be 100%. My depth perception is unlikely to return. I am not yet sure if I will drive again. Not exactly what I hoped for but definitely a major improvement.

Thanks for the support you all have provided since I started to work through this challenge. First prisms, then contemplating (and deciding against) vision therapy and ultimately opting for the surgery.

Comments (28)