SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

And so it ends....aaaaaand begins!

amylou321
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I took down my Halloween decor at work tonight. It didn't take long. There was a truck driver here who had to wait to load his truck and he helped me take it down, which helped a lot. It took ten hours to put it up, and took about 2 to take it down and pack it all up.I put up a few things for Thanksgiving. A few leaf garlands,a 6 foot tall inflatable turkey with a pilgrim hat on, my wooden "Get your FAT pants ready!" sign,and of course, my gobble til ya wobble turkey. Nothing much. Took 5 minutes to put up, will take 5 minutes to take it down. People are already commenting on how BORING it looks in here. So thats the end of that.

The beginning? Okay, i know a LOT of people are annoyed by this, but i was THRILLED!!!!! They started playing Christmas music on the radio today! They said that so many people were requesting it, they relented and started playing it. It really brightened my day. It also pleases me that they are playing a more varied song list, not just the same ones over and over again. Now, if only they would abolish some of the ones i HATE, it would make my year. These include, anything Mariah Carey, that stupid WHAM song, that stupid John Lennon song (Happy Xmas?) That stupid Paul McCartney song ,that depressing song about the shoes for the kids dying mother,and worst of all, that STUPID Band Aid song. For now, when they start playing those, i just switch to the songs on my phone or the iheart radio app, which plays Christmas songs year round. Or YouTube. OOO gotta go, Michael Buble is singing to me..........

Comments (21)

• ont_gal
    5 years ago

I pvr'd our first Christmas movie today for a binge watch some Sunday!

amylou321 thanked ont_gal
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

I too purged the jack-o-lanterns and scarecrows. Make way for the Turkeys and pumpkins!! The outside is done the inside will wait for the weekend. Not a lot of time for Thanksgiving; Christmas is coming and we will decorate before the weather gets too nasty outside. No lights on until after Thanksgiving...but sometimes the weather dictates when we do the work!! My decor was a hit with the kids, several said they liked my decorations. For a kid to randomly say so--well it was very welcome!!

amylou321 thanked arcy_gw
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

I stopped the Halloween decorations years ago. My kids are grown and out, I no longer really know the new crop of neighborhood kids and it just stopped being fun for me. I do still give out candy, and I don't think any of those kids cared if I had decorations up.

I used to buy mums for November/Thanksgiving. But, I probably won't do that either.

I don't mind the Christmas music. You can let things bother you or not. Your choice.

amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

I have some decorative pumpkins out, but put some away to make room for pilgrims and turkeys. My decorations are very minimal.

amylou321 thanked happy2b…gw
  • schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I took my Halloween decor off the mailbox yesterday, this morning I decided to just remove the mailbox cover all together and not fill it with Thanksgiving decor this year. There is SO much rain here, everything is sopping wet and I worried about the wooden cover suffering from too much moisture over so many weeks with very little drying-out time in between.

I think I will sit my turkey out on the front porch with something else, haven't decided what yet. It normally would sit in the mailbox. Not going to much tho.

amylou321 thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago

I have all-purpose fall decorations up, which I will leave in place until December 1.

Neighbors down the street hire a company every year to hang their Christmas lights on their house. They were hung two weeks ago - but to their credit, the lights haven’t been turned on yet.

amylou321 thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    5 years ago

I LOVE John Lennon's Happy Christmas!

ETA: But I agree about Mariah SCAREY!

amylou321 thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • georgysmom2
    5 years ago

I don't do Halloween anymore either. Put up my fall wreath....mums are dead, may splurge today and buy one new one for the month. We'll see.

amylou321 thanked georgysmom2
  • sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

i do mostly Fall decorations but have some jack-o-laterns, draculas and witches mixed in. those came down and putting up some Thanksgiving things. but mostly Fall which is up by end of September till Thanksgiving

Christmas goes up weekend after Thanksgiving.

Cant listen to Christmas music till at least December

Favorite Song: little drummer boy (this version)

amylou321 thanked sprtphntc7a
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

Good for you Amy! Holidays get you out of your arm chair. Festive is good!

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • sleeperblues
    5 years ago

I haven't taken halloween decorations down, but will today. I only dressed my goose, and put up some orange lights on the bannister. Today I'll dress my goose in his Thanksgiving outfit. I am totally depressed because I didn't get one trick or treater! I bought an 85 piece bag of candy, and not one kid. Last year I got several. I'm not sure why no kids. When my kids trick or treated 15 years ago, the neighborhood was packed. Parents would drive the kids over to the neighborhood because we are on the lake, away from the rest of the town. I guess there are just no kids left in the neighborhood, which is sad, but not sure about the parents not coming over. Maybe no body but me handed out candy last year.

amylou321 thanked sleeperblues
  • share_oh
    5 years ago

Hit up Target yesterday for some 50% off decorations. Since we moved and are no longer on a dead end street we can decorate again. Hooray!

I refuse to listen to Christmas music till at least December! And then only a few scattered in here and there. Hate it when my favorite station starts playing it 24/7 - usually at Thanksgiving. I switch stations till a week before Christmas.

amylou321 thanked share_oh
  • schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I'll wait for Christmas music after Thanksgiving too, altho I really do enjoy carols. The church that puts on their Madrigal Feaste schedules it earlier and earlier every year. Last time it was the second weekend in November. That's too early for me psychologically. I'd prefer it closer to Dec. 25th but I realize there are so many other programs and events scheduled in December.

amylou321 thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

You can listen to Christmas music 12 months of the year. There are plenty of streaming sites, plus Pandora, to choose from. All of these are easily played in the car too using a smartphone and most offer much better sound quality than the radio. Or, buy some CDs of your favorites and have a ball!

I've tired of Christmas music. 30 minutes worth each year is enough for me.

amylou321 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I don't decorate for any holidays, but I do love fall and all the fall colors. If I were to make an exception, it would be to put up fall/Thanksgiving decorations. My attitude probably has to do with not having children so never had youngsters to decorate for and that we live so far out, no one would see them anyway.

No Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, please! :-)

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • Michael
    5 years ago

I usually listen to Christmas on vinyl, rarely on radio or streaming. My favorite vinyl is A Very She & Him Christmas, along with the rest of their recordings.

So, if you're looking for a break from the usual, listen to Zooey Deschanel and M.Ward.

amylou321 thanked Michael
  • lonestar123
    5 years ago

Because of rain and work schedules all my Halloween stuff came down last weekend and the Thanksgiving stuff went up. I have so much Thanksgiving and since we start putting the Christmas stuff up the weekend before Thanksgiving(it takes forever for all we have) I want the Thanksgiving stuff up as long as possible.

amylou321 thanked lonestar123
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I've probably mentioned it before, but when I was a child, my hometown always first lit the Christmas lights on Thanksgiving night. It became our tradition to all pile into the car and go downtown to see them; then play the first of the Christmas albums on the stereo (Ferrante & Teicher's We Wish You a Merry Christmas became the favorite and the first to be played after it came out)

I agree with Amylou's list, I hate all of those and wish to never hear them again!

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Kathsgrdn
    5 years ago

that Wham song is really annoying especially since they seem to play it constantly!

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

Christmas music in stores used to irritate me until I decided to choose not to be irritated. Now I just hum along to whatever is playing. I listen to npr when the radio in my home or car is on and they play Christmas music only on the holiday, which is nice.

amylou321 thanked dragonflywings42