SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilneverends

The (deeper) meaning of "dated" and other things

aprilneverends
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

It's not new that I'm too often irked by what might seem constant preoccupation that something might be "dated" or "outdated" and if something like this is found in a house-it should be somehow updated...ASAP if possible..very often both in "trendy yet timeless" (?) way.

As I grew up not here..and even was a young (and then maybe not so very young) adult not here either-there are many things that are beyond..beyond my experience you can say.

Yes, I can be (and am) passionate about houses, or else I wouldn't be on this forum.

Yes, I'm very thrown off when things in a house(or apartment, or whatever the dwelling is) seem like they don't like each other, and don't like this house the belong to, furthermore there's no sense of mutual belonging at all. And it reminds, in terms of a vibe, a fundraiser that one wants to leave -and get home. Then I'll be prompted to do something about it. In order to "get home".

But presumably "dated" doesn't offend me at all. If it works with the house. Then I'll work with it. Unless I've something personal against it-but then it won't be about "dated".

So, I thought, for once. Maybe I should strive and understand more..deeply. From a different standpoint. What this standpoint might be?

What if this "dated" thing..what if this is part of some quest of immortality?

Don't laugh:)

Everything can be dated(doesn't have to. yet one can know exactly when it came to be-if he's interested enough to find out)-and maybe this reminds us of how life is fleeting, "slipping through my fingers all the time"?

Maybe it's some projection on how a house should reflect you(and yes, it should indeed)-and you, you want to remain "trendy yet timeless", whatever that means.

Maybe it's some..attempt to have bigger control. Over things that we can exersize control upon. And these are usually smaller things. In the great picture of life. Like a house.

In short I think-it would be nice to understand perspectives that might be totally different than one I have.

It might lead to some connection that I overlook.

It might tell me more about how others feel-and why.

It might be just an interesting discussion-as simple as that.

I'm tired of being irked, after all. It's not that productive. I want to try and do something else this time.

So. What's your perspective?

It's always a bit strange to me when a person asks to pick pillows for their sofa.

It's not strange to me that some people want to make sure they have pillows that they like

What's strange-is that person X seems to know for sure that there should be pillows on a sofa. Like it's some theorem.

And then he's to prove that theorem.

It means he heard enough, about how a room supposedly should look like.

yet he's hesitant to take this next step by himself..to try and prove this theorem.

it's okay.

My cognitive dissonance is-one presumably knows what HAS to be in a room..regardless whether it has to be there or not.

What is that so bad that's going to happen if he takes time and tries it? Especially pillows..easy to try, easy to return. In other countries one often can't return..he can get a refund. Here, one can return stuff. easily.

Why art has to incorporate such and such colors and be of size such and such, or else?

True it's nice when one has art that he really likes and it all works together in terms of size too

But what's going to happen if this art doesn't appear on a wall X right away? The wall X won't crumble on him, after all.

Collecting art takes years..decades sometimes.

So. here again, people are obviously driven by something that is hard for me to understand.

But if it's something that's hard for me to understand..it doesn't make it less important to them.

What's the drive..behind this feeling of pressing importance? To have a room X exactly like it supposedly should look like, within timeframe Y?

Maybe it's the same feeling..of time getting away somehow? You try to catch it,,to say "stand still", in a sense. It won't happen of course. Yet one still tries..

Okay, that's getting too long. For which I, as usual, apologize. Lol.

What do you think?

PS yes I've just read some blog post that made me think of all that:) I just want to start thinking differently. To look through other glasses.

Lend me yours?..

Comments (102)