SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_weng

What's wrong with my new Philodendron Hope selloum? - blackening leave

Carrie Weng
5 years ago

Hi!

4 days ago i bought a philodendron hope, and since then it seems that sections of some of the leaves are turning black, or rotting away? It is difficult to describe so please see the attached pictures. Is this likely a watering issue, or a fungal issue? what should I do? I had a quick look at fungal pictures online but could not match them with the problem here

additional info:

1) Before I took it home the plant store repotted it into a new planter but they did not break down the root ball, they just drop it into the new pot and filled in the sides and bottom, so I have not had a good look at the roots yet.

2) once I took it home i realised the soil is quite compacted, I've had trouble inserting a moisture meter into the soil, the moisture meter comes out at about 3. I have not yet watered it. I was originally planning to not repot it myself given we are coming up to winter and wait until spring but given the current situation i might repot it once new potting mix arrives in a few days, at which time i will break down the root ball slightly, inspect the roots, put in new soil, and water thoroughly.

3) The heating in the house is on. I keep the temperature between 20-25 Celsius (68-77 degrees Fahrenheit), and humidity around 50-65 with a humidifier. It isn't in the way of any cold or hot wind/drafts.

4) It is currently not receiving any light sitting a little far from a north facing window, but has only been there for 3-4 days. Once things are settled, the plan is to have it about 4-6 feet away from a south facing window out of direct sunlight but receiving good amount of indirect light.

5) none of my other plants seem to have the same issue

What do you think is the problem and what should I do? It does seem like the problem is taking over quite rapidly in the last few days, i recall only seeing one leaf with this problem on the first day. Please help! Thanks v v much in advance!

Comments (2)