SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vonbook_gw

What's wrong with my split-leaf philodendron???

Vonbook
9 years ago

I have a large split-leaf philodendron in my living room that I love & have had for about 9 months. For the first several months, it thrived and seemed like it was getting bigger & healthier all the time.

Then in the fall, the larger leaves began turning brown & dying one by one. There's still a significant plant left, but not as big as it was before. I thought I might be underwatering, so I began lightly watering it every couple days (as to not OVER-water), and mist it regularly--that seemed to halt its decline a little.

At first I thought I'd just eventually killed it--but lately new, healthy-looking baby leaves have begun to sprout from the base. So, that's encouraging! (I also moved it from a shaded corner to give it a little more sun, it seems to like that as well.)

Is it normal for split-leaf philodendrons' larger, older leaves to eventually die off & make way for new ones? Or am I doing something wrong? (When it was thriving earlier in the year, it seemed to need a lot less maintenance--now it's kind of temperamental, lol...I thought they were known as REALLY hardy plants.)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath