SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kktalker

What tile to use inside foyer niches?

U P
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm preparing to tile the back walls inside two entry niches, about 40sf of material. I am having trouble selecting tile and wall color. The floor is Florida Tile Berkshire Maple, a dark wood-look tile. The niche countertops are Silestone Coffee Brown quartz. The connecting rooms and hallways are painted Behr Merino Wool, a light beige color. The paint color (due to ceiling height and having to rent scaffolding) and the tile will be considered permanent, so I want to stick with neutral earth-tones (I can always add changeable color by hanging large artwork in the niches). Edit: Tile price should be under about $15/sf.

I can either:

1) Continue the Merino Wool light beige wall color (lighter than the existing color) with a darker tile in the niches, or

2) Paint the walls a darker color that complements the Merino Wool and choose a lighter tile for the niches.

What tile and paint color combination would you choose? What type of tile? I particularly like split-face travertine, as in the second picture below.

This picture shows the old (existing) paint, which is darker than the Merino Wool, the new Berkshire Maple floors and new Coffee Brown quartz countertops:

Comments (44)

• Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Split face is nice, but perhaps a little dated. Do you have lights to highlight the niches?

If you decide to tile, here are a few below that might bring a little bling to the area.

This may not be your style, but this large format metallic glass is gorgeous (gold, copper, platinum, silver). Someone used the gold in a bar area (on their Instagram page) and it's stunning. Or you could go with smaller format but these might work too....

https://tilebar.com/requiem-gold-10x30-glass-wall-tile.html

One of these colors could be gorgeous:

https://tilebar.com/komorebi-jet-stream-glass-tile.html

Waterjet is stunning! A beautiful marble is always a great choice....

https://tilebar.com/collection/stone-mosaics/waterjet.html

Look at some of these here with texture:

https://tilebar.com/collection/porcelain-tile/shop-by-look-porcelain/decorative-look-porcelain.html

U P thanked Laura Mac
  • U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Laura Mac, thank you for your suggestions. Some of those examples are really gorgeous. The house is pretty traditional and the tile needs to stay put for quite a while, so we want to stay away from "bling," trendy, modern. FYI, we'll be staying under $15/sf or so.

• Related Discussions

Can you put a bar inside a shower niche?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hello Sherriode, I've not installed a wash cloth bar, but it's entirely possible to do. You'll need to locate appropriate hardware. I'd recommend stainless steel pipe for the bar component. The hanger hardware might be more difficult to nail down, so in a pinch you could use a like-sized diamond hole saw to bore pockets into the facing tile (prior to installing the tile, of course). A clear nylon sleeve or gasket will cut down on the bar rubbing against the tile material. As long as your niche is properly waterproofed, you can penetrate the tile without any worry of leaking. Please share pictures when you finally get this installed? Shaughnn
    ...See More

Niche question - tile guys will be onto the niches tomorrow

Q

Comments (7)
    My feeling about shelves (or anything) protruding or projecting from tub or shower walls, is to avoid them. I am a total klutz, and have been known to whack my elbow(s) on the recessed niche/shelf in my own bathroom (while reaching to take something from the niche, or, while putting something back. Having something projecting outward is just asking for an "ouch!" for a klutz like me. I've seen some beautiful, sill-like shelves in niches, but as flush as possible would still be my preference.
    ...See More

How to tile a Shower niche using subway tile?

Q

Comments (6)
    This is my shower niche. They used two full subway tile to go around on both the inside right and left and split the bottom so there's a joint right down the center. The back is the small tiles from the shower floor and there's one glass shelf. The two shelves slant a hair down and it's on the opposite side of the shower head so it never gets all that wet. The subway tiles they used on the inside are billnose.
    ...See More

Foyer decor dilemma- what decor should I put in this doorbell niche?

Q

Comments (9)
    Any contractor can simply eliminate the niche with a couple studs and dry wall. Hang a picture, hang a pretty mirror. .....paint the door bell chime above wall color . If there's room in the foyer elsewhere for the lidded bench? Put a tall plant there and nothing on the wall. Failing that? Go to an auto glass and mirror shop with dimensions, and have a 1/8" mirror cut/polished to fit right in it.. A few dabs of silicone and you're done. It's a narrow mirror above a seat and shoe storage. .Show the whole foyer from another angle........add a pic or two
    ...See More
  • Fori
    5 years ago

I can't tell what style you've got, but if you feel artsy, check out some Pewabic installations. Definitely not trendy or modern, bling ranking depends on your state of mind. :)

(For some reason your niches remind me of the fabulous drinking fountains with the Pewabic tiles. Not in a bad way!)

U P thanked Fori
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

U P, do you live near a Floor and Decor? Pick up a few things that you like and take them home and hold them up. (Then return what you don't want). You might be surprised what will look beautiful and catches your eye. I think your split-face stone would be gorgeous, but just wanted to show you some metallic and marble options, etc.. A small 1/2" glass mosaic would be pretty too...

U P thanked Laura Mac
  • suzyq53
    5 years ago

We had art niches with paper that looked like stone.

U P thanked suzyq53
  • U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Laura Mac, Floor and Decor is a great idea. I was running out of ideas because my go-to tile galleries were coming up empty.

• annztoo
    5 years ago

I have to agree with suzyq......I wouldn't put something as permanent as tile since style changes over the years. Here's a niche with wall paper that I saw in a Street of Dreams tour.

U P thanked annztoo
  • Olychick
    5 years ago

What will you display? I can't imagine much decor being enhanced by that style of tile..it seems it should be more of a neutral backdrop to your decorative items.

U P thanked Olychick
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

It strikes me as a not good idea to put anything there at all. Let what you put there be the star, not what's tacked onto the wall.

U P thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Perhaps just paint a few shades darker than the walls. Now that I see the close-up, tile or stacked stone and tile wouldn't really work.

What colors were you considering for your walls?

U P thanked Laura Mac
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

The niche themselves are an accent. You don't NEED an accent within an accent. Buy some related tall sculpture and put it in there. ONE color walls and niches, NO tile, no faux florals.

Personally, I'd drywall over both, get lovely consoles, and equally lovely art. Bye to the niches. Especially the one that looks as if it barely clears a window.

U P thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO the best is to paint the niche a color that enhances whtever you put in there ,I agree I would drywall over and hang nice big pieces that you love But I would also get rid of all the faux painting. I think those niches are overkill .

U P thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Agree, spend your money wisely and get rid of the paint and niches. It looks very dated.

U P thanked Angel 18432
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Agreed. No to the tile. Decide what will be displayed and then decide what the backdrop should be.

Also that chandelier is too small for this area and should be updated.

Might be time to take a good hard look at the room and see if it shouldn't be revised and updated. The niches could run floor up to the door height. and squared off. The proportions of the room could be changed.

U P thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Bite the bullet and get estimates to repaint over that outdated faux wall treatment and sheetrock those niches. While you have the scaffolding in replace the chandelier with new more classic look and open look. Stone in the niches will just further date this home. If you plan to sell anytime in next 5 years, this entry will stop buyers dead in their tracks. Do it for yourselves now and enjoy it. It will be money well spent. Select neutral paint color. Good luck. luck.
    U P thanked Flo Mangan
  • U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jan Moyer, I am not sure what you mean about barely clearly a window. There are no windows on those walls. Perhaps you are referring to late afternoon sunlight (through an opposite window) that appears in the upper right of the picture?

• U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Laura Mac, the adjoining rooms and hallways will be Behr Merino Wool. We have not decided whether to use the same color in the foyer or a darker neutral.

• U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, we will not be drywalling nor changing the shapes on the niches. It just doesn't cut it in the cost-benefit analysis. Also, squaring off the tops of the niches would require us to take a hard look at the eight other archways in the near vicinity of this foyer, which is not worth our consideration. Is changing the structure of the niches what you meant by " see if it shouldn't be revised and updated," or was there something else you would recommend in addition to the flooring, painting, and lighting already underway? Now is the time, if within our logistical scope.

How wide would you recommend for a new chandelier?

• U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo Mangan, "Bite the bullet and get estimates." Lol, I think we'll continue with our existing plan to DIY the paint (I trust my own painting much more than a "pro," especially if a pro was whoever did the ghastly existing faux finish). While drywalling the niches would not be difficult, it's just not something we want to do at this time (I'm tired and pregnant and just finished a kitchen gut-out and two bathrooms), so we'll be working with the niches in place.

Any recommendations for new lighting? Both the (four) sconces and the chandelier are being replaced, but I just haven't found anything I like. Dark finishes are preferred, and "shiny" finishes are a hard no.

"...this entry will stop buyers dead in their tracks." I am not sure about your meaning. Are you saying it currently looks ugly enough to stop buyers and turn them away, or are you saying that with your recommended changes, it will look good enough to wow them? If the former, I think the paint and lighting changes will give us the biggest bang for our buck. Or do you think the room would still be offensive? Personally, I have hated the faux finish paint ever since we bought the house (at auction), but most people walk in and think it is a pretty neat room. My gazillion kids think so, too. They call it "The Rotunda." lol.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

I understand pregnant and tired. I don't understand the desire to keep a thing that IS dated , despite arches elsewhere in the home. A pro paint job, does not imply the hideous amateur wall treatment now there. Which DOES look as if done by a home JOE. Drywall and studs are cheaper than tile and labor to achieve an even more dated look. You asked................: )

U P thanked JAN MOYER
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

I think paint will do wonders for now, the easiest fix.... I'm not familiar with Behr paints, but here are complimentary colors if you are using Behr...

https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/HDC-NT-13

However, I love Benjamin Moore paint. Look on their site to get inspired.

Color Trends for 2019:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-palettes/color-trends-2019

Lighting - a little sparkle and shine can be stunning! Are you sure?

Check out Restoration Hardware chandeliers for inspiration. So many gorgeous pieces.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?cellBackground=false&parentCatId=cat1701013&topCatId=cat160075&categoryId=cat10160012&sale=false

Or, you could try a less expensive version from Lamps Plus or Arhaus:

https://www.lampsplus.com/chandeliers/

https://www.arhaus.com/furniture/lighting/

Hopefully you are getting your rest! Don't push it too hard! Congrats on baby to be!

U P thanked Laura Mac
  • laurafhallen
    5 years ago

I think the room is neat. I would update the chandelier and paint it as suggested above. Save the money you were going to spend on tile for art!

U P thanked laurafhallen
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Or, save every penny for a 529 plan! LOL

U P thanked Laura Mac
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Sorry I haven't read all the comments to learn if you were going for a more rustic or sophisticated style for your home. I am not advocating these colors or items, but simply trying to show you other ways to view the room.

I don't know the dimensions of your room, but I'm assuming your can use a fixture that is at least 36"+

in diameter and hang the fixture at 8ft in the room. I would try to not focus the attention on the ceiling so I might consider a chandelier that doesn't direct all the light to the ceiling. Something sculptural in nature.. I also might do something with the paint to lower the ceiling visually

If you keep the arches but drywall over the niches, then focus the attention on the center of the room.

Having a chandelier that extends from the ceiling down could be quite spectacular.

U P thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kris Bruesehoff
    5 years ago

We have niches in our house too...and I’m struggling with what to do with them as well.

just wondering why you were considering tile for them. I am downplaying mine with painting like the surrounding wall... less focus on them and more on what goes into them.

U P thanked Kris Bruesehoff
  • U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, those are some great lighting ideas. And thank you for taking the time to photoshop to show concept.

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Agree with Jan. Drywalling over those niches will be cheaper and look better than tiling and buying items to fill them with...
    U P thanked Bri Bosh
  • U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kris Bruesehoff, I have a good idea about the artwork I want to put in them; it is artwork that is special to our family. Maybe simple--same paint color--is easiest and best? I am considering tile because I kind of like how these look:

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Personal art in the entry needs to work with the overall design so make sure that whatever art you use works with the overall look you create. If it is personal, I wouldn't advise it in the "entry" public space.

U P thanked Flo Mangan
  • U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flo Mangan, thank you. Yes it "works" with the overall design (except for the fact that several people think the niches shouldn't exist in the first place, lol). Given the unusual story of our family, sharing that story up front is more important than a specific design rule, so the artwork will most definitely be placed prominently in our home.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Which is all the more reason to nuke them. Unless metal, glass, iron and a fabulous and interesting shape sit within?

Not a great spot for framed art.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

And this is ............ No. Sorry. That's a case where a nuke is far better. :(

sorry but that is cringe invoking

• Kris Bruesehoff
    5 years ago

U P Thanks for sharing those inspiration pics, makes sense, they come off more modern and “organic” which unfortunately won’t work in our house. I’m glad you have some personal art to put in them and would love to see pictures when you are done. I have considered covering up our niches too, but actually like the arches- and know that I have bigger issues to deal with right now.

U P thanked Kris Bruesehoff
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

Just place the artwork in the niches, but paint the inside of the niches the same as walls - so the art is the star, not the tile. Perhaps paint the shelf white to match the trim in the room.

U P thanked Angel 18432
  • U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jan Moyer, our artwork is not a framed print/painting. It is hanging metal and fabric sculpture. Because it sticks out slightly (maybe 3-4"?) from the walls, the niches protect it from kids running by and getting caught on it. Sorry I can't show a picture; it is currently packed away.

• U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kris Bruesehoff, "bigger issues to`deal with." Exactly. Like, I need to get two more bathroom showers working for our family of eight, lol. The foyer niche issue I'd rather not deal with. I could always change that part at a later date (tile later, or drywall, patch, touchup paint). The pressing factor is just making sure that as I paint through the entire house--including the foyer--whatever I choose to do in the future down below (the niches) will match what I rented scaffolding to do up high (paint). Good luck to you on your projects!

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

We called our former home Los Arcos. There were arches everywhere including 4 arched niches in the entry and hall. That house was built in 2003 in a mediterranean style with 18' to 20' ceilings. It was a charming home and not "dated". I don't think the niches are inherently dated. I certainly wouldn't spend to take them out. But I wouldn't tile them either. Framed art does work or sculpture or your family pieces.

U P thanked suzyq53
  • Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    UP, all your example photos have lights in the niches. Are yours lit? It’s key to illuminating the stacked stone...
    U P thanked Bri Bosh
  • U P
    Original Author
    5 years ago

suzyq53, lol. Every house has it's own personality, doesn't it? From where I am sitting (dining room, open to foyer), I see FOURTEEN arches throughout the house. The foyer you see in the picture is an octagon shape. The man who built this house also built and lived in the house next door, and just recently moved over one more lot and built another house with...arches. Mediterranean would definitely describe the style. There are other things I would have done differently had I been building the house myself, but for the price we paid (and how it fits our family, and all the other great things about it), I'll certainly take it. ;)

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    Who knew that arched niches are out of style? I guess I look at it as an architectural feature that provides interest. It sounds like it is in keeping with the style of the home. Sadly, at my house they would become a flat surface with “stuff” on it. :(
    U P thanked mainenell
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    U P. I don’t think anyone is criticizing your home but you asked for input on the niches and it is always important to take into consideration the entire space. Also, the info that the personal art is metal sculptures is a vital piece of information. Always helps to know these details. If the pieces fit comfortably in the niches then just paint the backs of the niches to best showcase the art pieces. Stone of most kinds will fight the art for attention so perhaps a plain background for these pieces would work best. I don’t think unlit stone is best. I don’t think the niches are lighted? Right? Good luck.
    U P thanked Flo Mangan
  • suzyq53
    5 years ago

lol U P! Maybe the same guy built our house too? Can you have too many arches?

U P thanked suzyq53
  • Angel 18432
    5 years ago

suzy, your home looks lovely - even with arches.