SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Good method for growing alpine plants for people with heavy clay

Most alpine plants and plants suited for a rock garden need perfect draining soil but not all people can do this because some people have super heavy clay and also may not be too budget friendly to have a scree or topsoil delivered to their homes. And on top of that all the labor needed to make the raised bed would be so time consuming and not so back friendly. I recently made a small 14x8 ft semi circle shaped rock garden that took me an added total of 1 week to do within a 3 month period. I spent over 200$ for gravel, sand, and other materials. And even after adding 20 bags of gravel and mixing it up in my soil, I don't see much of a difference in the elevation of soil.

So I think I came up with a good solution. If I move houses in the future and the property tends to be heavy clay based, I think I will do this. Pot up the plants in very well draining mix, maybe with some tiny gravel. Dig a 1.5 or 2 ft hole and fill the hole with regular gravel or river stone. Don't fill it all the way to the top because the potted plants will be sunk in the hole on top of the gravel/stone. So then the pot gets sunk but allow maybe 2 inches of the top of the pot to be above the hole so the surrounding soil doesn't spill in the pot when it rains. Then cover up the exposed pot with river stone, since the whole bed is going to be a rock garden and river stone will be used for mulch.

With the gravel in the hole underneath the pot, that will prevent puddles forming below and will pretty much be the same as growing the potted plant out of the ground but plants in the ground always looks better anyway. And if the plants die back in winter, simply remove the pot from the hole and place it in a protected place from the cold and the rain. And then fill the hole with river stone and possibly mark it so next spring you can place the same pot in the hole again. And I say do this for only plants that completely die back in the winter because you won't notice you took out the sunken pot. If its evergreen its going to be left in the ground. Although I won't be growing any evergreen rock garden plants.

How does this method sound? Am I missing something crucial that would otherwise make this plan a complete fail? This also sounds like good vole protection and you can do it for other perennials too.

Comments (6)

Sponsored