SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smudgedhorizon

Heavy clay drainage issues

smudgedhorizon
8 years ago

My garden measures 30ft x 30ft. It is very heavy clay, and currently a waterlogged wasteland. I've literally had standing water for weeks on end now, and even when there is no visible surface water, it is boggy and you sink if you try and stand on it!

I actually had land drains installed by a landscaper on the 17th December, to hopefully fix the water logging issue. It hasn't. There is still standing water and the ground is still boggy, I'm devastated as it was so expensive and seems like it's been a complete waste of money, which we didn't have much of to start with!

I have no idea how best to proceed now. I just want a garden where my kids can play on the lawn without it being a sinking mud pool that you need wellies for 90% of the time, & I want to be able to plant shrubs and plants (unfortunately I adore acers, which hate wet feet!) without them drowning.

From my limited understanding of things I have been considering these 3 options -

1) excavate 12" of clay from the entire garden (pretty much to the top of the drains) and replace with 12" of better topsoil, which will then (hopefully?) drain freely into the installed land drains. I'm not sure how trees with deeper roots would fare though?

2) add 10-20 tonnes of compost (and/or grit?) and rotovate into the top 6-12 inches of clay, to hopefully improve the drainage so it can freely drain into the land drains below.

3) raise the entire garden above the waterlogged clay - potentially add a layer of gravel/hardcore straight onto the clay as a drainage course and then add 12-24 inches of topsoil on top. Or can I just add topsoil without a gravel drainage course?

I would love any and all advice and opinions here - which option do you think is best? What are the pros and cons of each choice? Is there an option I've not considered?

Thank you so much for your time.

This is it currently. No rain for a few days and still so wet. It bakes solid in summer too.

Comments (12)