SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breckjensenhi

Clay Soil Drainage Issue With Newly Planted Canary Island Pine

breckjensenhi
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We planted a Canary Island Pine 4 weeks ago and are having a water drainage issue (photos of tree at end of post). Here are the details.

Tree: Canary Island Pine. Height about 15’ when planted. Planted on May 25th 2016 (4 weeks ago).

Issue or Concern: Water is not draining.
Background: The hole for the tree was 5-6’ wide by 3’ deep and contained mostly clay. The clay and excess tree box soil was mixed and then filled in the hole around the tree ball.

Issue Suspicion: The clay is absorbing or holding the water. And/or the hole’s clay walls are “pooling” the water.

Observation #1: As most agree, the tree looks healthy. Water drainage still a concern however.

Observation #2: To check drainage or hole water level, I use a deep drip tree stake (like a pvc pipe with holes) and insert a “dip” stick. The stick shows a water level but it drains very slowly, about 2-3” a day. It’s been 7 days since we’ve watered last and there’s still 8 inches of standing water measuring.

Suggested Solutions: The following solutions have been made.

Solution #1: Wait until the water goes all the way down, wait a few days, and then water again.

Solution #2: To improve drainage, replace soil without hurting the roots with Kellogg’s Amend and Gypsum. There was a 1 to at most 2 foot distance between the tree ball and hole wall. Not sure how much the tree roots have grown into that space in 4 weeks.

Solution #3: Please know that this is my suggestion and that I’m new to gardening. Though I am willing to do what's best for the tree, is It possible to just put gypsum on top of the soil?

Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz