SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martinb88

Grass type for lawn in Los Angeles (USDA zone 10a, sunset climate 21)

Martin B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I just bought a house. Previous homeowners had Marathon 1 for front and backyard lawns. They watered them daily to keep them alive during spring and summer. My front lawn gets morning sun only and I've been able to slowly space the watering to every 4 days.
My backyard lawn gets the hot afternoon sun. Before we bought the house, the water for the backyard irrigation was turned off accidentally for 1 month during the heat wave. The lawn is brown, dry, and crispy. I've been watering it daily in hopes that it will come back to life, but I would prefer not to water it daily for the long-term.
My question: what should I do now? Wait until December and hope the cool season grass comes back to life? Overseed with the same grass type (Marathon 1)? Or overseed with a different grass type? It gets moderate foot traffic but no dog urine. I was thinking of getting California bent grass, but am told that it's quite invasive. That would be less ideal because I have many flowerbeds that surround the lawn.

Comment (1)