SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raingreen

?Dry-grown teas in Mediterranean climates??

raingreen
12 years ago

Hi all,

I am a landscape designer based in Pomona, California, trying to develop gardens that need no water after establishment. I've always loved roses (esp teas) so I was overjoyed to find references to gardens where tea roses were said to tolerate quite well the summer drought of the Mediterranean climate. Gardeners from the Italian Riviera (Bennet, J. 1889. Pages 551-552 in: Gardeners chronicle & new horticulturist, Volume 1, found in Google search) and Adelaide ( Trevor Nottle in Plants for a Changing Climate) let their roses go dry in the summer (no watering). Both climates are Mediterranean however more moderate than Pomona.

I have little personal experience with growing teas and dont have my own garden right now so I wanted to see if anyone had tested teas or other roses under extreme conditions, e. g., no summer watering in a mediterranean climate. I've corresponded with Jeri and Kim who both gave excellent suggestions. Jeri was very supportive and suggested some of the healthier found tea roses as the backbone for dry rose gardens. And that leads to another reason why I suspect this kind of dry rose garden could be successful, the fact that there are so many found roses in dry California!!

I am expecting very dry rose gardens to be restricted to deep soils, away from tree roots, away from reflected heat etc. My own personal experience was of an abandoned garden in Pasadena where floribundas even managed to flower in early fall!

Thanks in advance for your rose stories. I'm trying to figure out whether or not this will be successful in landscapes so let me know good OR bad experiences!!

Thanks, Nate

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor