SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_766231998

Shower pan? Drain? Mushrooms in tile?

HU-766231998
5 years ago

Hi,

We have a shower stall in our upstairs bathroom - composed of 2 tiled walls and 2 glass walls along with a tiled floor. Two weeks ago we noticed 2 small mushrooms growing outside the shower - right where the floor/grout meet the shower - abutting it. A few days later we noticed some small water staining in the bedroom below the shower. We have never noticed any moisture outside the shower before.

we have had a series of plumbers, tile people, handymen look at the shower and no one seems to agree on the issue. Half say it is the drain and a few say maybe shower pan, with the rest saying just recaulk and regrout.

The grout/caulk is in bad shape and definitely could use a touch up.

the leak below the shower measures exactly to where the drain is.

We are at a loss. We have someone trustworthy who is going to attempt a fix by carefully examining and possibly extending drain, retiling shower floor and caulking/grout it all. Does this sound right? Should we open up ceiling below?

This person also came over and removed a tile from the ledge/sill going around the shower. He confirmed there is a vinyl liner there.

Would a drain leak cause this sort of damage to ceiling below and also mushroom growth?

Comments (65)

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Also - measurement of shower is about 36x41. the drain is not centered because of a beam below it. Does this mean custom pan? Any recommendations?

• millworkman
    5 years ago

What makes youthink the walls above 2 rows of tiles are any better? If the floor/pan was installed that poorly, and I am sorry for repeating but Gut. Demo. All. New. Now. All you are doing is postponing the inevitable. What happens in 6 months when you need to redo the walls? How is the new tiler proposing to tie in a waterproofing system? How will you tie in a waterproofing system when the walls need to be redone?

• Related Discussions

How to select tile (floor, shower) and shower pans

Q

Comments (30)
    Hi tmnca! One thing to think about with the Kohler shower pans is whether you may ever be using a shower stool with legs. If you were to get a longer shower bench, the Salient may cause problems because the oval really does have quite a bit of "curb" to it, as shown in Badgergal's photo of her son's shower. With a small shower stool set in the center of the shower, it is fine. If you ever need a longer shower stool, the Bellweather gives you a surface not impeded with the raised oval. I does, however, have a slant to the overall shower floor, so that must be taken into account. I have seen the Bellweather in person. It is a non-slip surface. It almost felt like a surface that would make me trip - catching my foot if I did not pick it up and step. Like if I dragged the foot, it would catch and I would trip and fall. It was a funny feeling to the bottom, and I wondered how it would feel when wet. It was NOT going to feel slippery, though! As for tile in a shower floor, the other reason to have small tiles (besides the grout lines giving traction), is that the small tiles allow the tile layer to better cope with the slant toward the drain. Larger tiles only allow you to slant in one direction. The smaller the tile, the better it is for following contours on a floor that is flowing to a drain from all directions.
    ...See More

Kerdi shower pan - drain not centered; is it really a problem?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks Mongo, You've made my night! I was awake until 1:00 this morning, going around in circles in my head planning my tile layout and how to best deal with the drain, so I'm happy this idea is sound. I actually was considering your second suggestion of floating the tiles up a bit to get a better match, but I like your suggestion of feathering out the thinset below the membrane. I have a hard enough time with the thinset squeezing out with mosaics. I don't need to make it even harder on myself. Now that that is figured out, I'm sure I'll find many other things to obsess about in the three weeks until we have time to do this project! Actually, I do have one other question (for now!): the shower will have two full walls and two curbs at right angles. I have two Kerdi curbs (the gray ones that are reinforced inside) and felt fine about those until I saw someone on a forum somewhere worrying about whether those would be able to support their frameless glass walls. We are planning frameless glass walls too, so I started researching that and couldn't find anyone who had actually talked about combining the two. Kerdi says they are strong enough (and I have an email in to the glass dealer to check), but just wondering if anyone has actual experience putting frameless glass walls on the Kerdi curbs? I checked the glass doors/walls we're getting and it looks like most of the support will come from the anchors set into the walls and there aren't any holes that need to be drilled into the curb (the walls rest on silicone shims), so it seems like it should be fine?
    ...See More

Shower pan Drain slope

Q

Comments (5)
    Honestly, we can't tell from the photo and please realize that it is a little too late as a change is a BIG deal. So if you can live with it (and yes, better too much than too little), might want to tolerate the excessive (if so) slope right at the drain. Your drain should not have an abrupt slope in the near perimeter, BUT, as we stated, might want to pick your battles if all else is well.
    ...See More

Miscalculated drain height in mortar shower pan

Q

Comments (11)
    You should NOT have a full mortar bed pan with a clamp drain + PVC Liner and then redgard it in. Redgard is not vapor permeable and you are on the fast track for whats callled A mold sandwhich. This is a very common mistake A lot of. people and many novice tilers do...trying to mix methods and the wrong materials. I suggest you remove redgard and the top mudbed and share some photos .better to tear out now before you lose the entire thing. reemoving it should take no more than an hour and materials are cheap. Now, dont tell us you screwed cement board thru the liner on the curb and applied redgard to that too, thats the second most common mistake:)
    ...See More
  • HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry - as you can tell I am less than knowledgeable in this area. I did not think of the question you posed. The liner typically goes up 1-2 rows high in the shower, right? Again, I know nothing about this but assumed he would be pulling the old liner out and putting in a new one. I am guessing it’s not that simple. If only

• User
    5 years ago

2K is less than 1/3 of what a properly waterproofed tile shower will cost. There is nothing to be saved there. Be very very careful about who you hire, or you may just get more of the same.

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all. One last question - again, excuse my lack of knowledge here. Shower pans do fail and when they do they need to be replaced. Is it always a gut and redo or is that the suggestion here becaise there is an assumption that the rest of the work behind the walls is poor too and not waterproofed? In other words, when’ A shower pain fails, I assume people do just replace the liner and pan with taking a row of wall tiles out rather than gutting the entire Thing? Or am I completely wrong there? Additionally, would a not tiled floor/pan in the shower be a better bet?

• Tony Stevens
    5 years ago
    The shower “pan” isn’t a tray. It’s more of a liner combined with a layered method of waterproofing the bathroom on the basis that water flows downhill. The same process applies to a shingle roof where the higher singles overlap the lower shingles. If the lower shingles overlapped the higher shingles, then you’ve got a passageway for water to get in under the shingles.
    There are several layers in a bathroom. The tile is the decorative top layer. The liner is the protective, waterproof layer and the backer board is the base foundation on which it’s built (not considering the wall framing). The tiles do the main job of directing water to the drain, but they can’t capture everything. The liner is the insurance, but even that can have little issues. There are high humidity levels and large temperature swings in the bathroom and water has a way of creeping into everything and going where you don’t want it to get. Each layer can get a little wet, but the strategy is to keep water moving downhill and not have it captured anywhere where it can soak in and do damage. Ideally, in a bathroom, you’re wanting water always flowing past overlaps and not having access to get underneath the various layers.
    When you only take the waterproofing up two layers of wall tile, you’re now introducing a break that water coming down the wall will access to get in behind the liner. It’s not a matter of if, but when.
    The bulk of the work is being done already. If you can afford to get the entire shower waterproofed now, then that is the recommendation of everyone here. The repercussions of a partly done job are not worth considering unless you’re planning on demolishing the shower again in the near future. Just do it properly and get the entire shower done. It’s money well spent.
    HU-766231998 thanked Tony Stevens
  • HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you again. Tony I really appreciate the explanation, along with everyone else’s input. No one who came over mentioned gutting the entire shower - they only meantioned a new pan and removing 1-2 layers of wall tile so that is why I was a bit confused. It makes sense though what everyone is saying here. I will see the cost of a gut and if we can swing that.

• Tony Stevens
    5 years ago
    Each situation varies. If you have one of this plastic, pre-formed shower stalls, or a glass surround, the application may vary. Ask your contractors lots if questions and get good explanations. The scary part (and it happens with nearly all renovations) is that your contractors can’t predict what is behind or beneath the tiles. They can guess, but it’s usually wrong. There are nearly always surprises. Try and establish a level of trust or faith with your chosen contractor and avoid those that just want to slap on a layer of grout and move on. Goo luck. Perhaps post some photos when done.
  • HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much, Tony. Will do. I truly appreciate the guidance.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

You want to rip this completely out. You want someone to be responsible for the entire install, with no finger pointing. As Tony explained, you can't patch something in and nobody would guarantee it if they did.

You can use a cast iron base and avoid some of the issues with building on-site.

You can also use the Schluter Systems base and curb.

I would avoid someone who wants to install the rubber liner, wood curb, etc. Unless they really know what they are doing it will leak.

There are lots of Youtube videos showing it done right. Watch a lot of videos so you know what to look for.

HU-766231998 thanked Jake The Wonderdog
  • HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jake. Donl the cast iron base and schluter bases come in custom sizes? my shower is about 36x41 and has an off center drain.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

So the cast iron bases are not custom. If you follow the link you will see many sizes and configs - but they are not custom.

The Schluter bases can be trimmed I believe. The offset drain needs to be something you want to reconsider. Can you alter the drain location (to one end) or can you header off the joist that's in the way? That's something for a contractor to figure out - but keep an open mind.

Here's the thing to understand: wood isn't that stable - it swells when it gets wet and it contracts when it dries. Tile and grout doesn't respond well to the base under it moving. Part of the issue with your current installation is that you have wood curbs that have moved (probably because they have gotten wet) and so you see the big gaps around the tile.

If you can avoid using wood in your curb (even covered with a rubber membrane) you will be miles ahead.

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will ask about the drain and curb. Good suggestion re: rubber membrane. I presume that shouldn’t be much extra work. The membrane would be in addition to a new liner, right?

• judymn
    5 years ago

Very interesting stuff Jake! Ive never thought beyond the tile.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

HU-766231998 :

I guess I wasn't clear: Building a base from wood and rubber membrane is what you want to avoid. Some very skilled people can do it well, but many can't.

If at all possible use a pre-cast iron base or a Schluter Systems base and curb or some other system that doesn't involve wood.

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay - going to avoid the wood curb and go with a Schluter system or tile redi Pan. Any suggestions as to which is preferred?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Preferences are largely a regional choice sometimes. I usually use Schluter products because they are readily available from my supplier without paying additional shipping. Not familiar too much with the other you mentioned. I live in the Northwest and Schluter is popular here and usually stocked by multiple vendors.

There are many great manufacturers of waterproofing systems for tile showers. All of which can work as described if you follow the exact manufacturers specs on how to install properly.

I like the fact that Schluter has a vast library of training videos on their different products and they have a proven track record of success in use if installed properly. But others will have their preferences which is fine. Thank goodness we live in a world where you have choices. Good luck..

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

My vote would be Schluter system.

If you use the Redi Pan, be sure to use the flashing that was designed for it as well. Installation instructions show that you can install it without the flashing - but that's not at all a good idea. In general, waterproofing should not depend on caulk - and without the flashing you are depending on a bead of caulk to make things water tight.

The install video says that the flashing is aluminum (and it looks like it's not painted) - which should not be in direct contact with cement board because it will corrode. If you use the flashing, put a layer of Tyvek tape over the part that would be in contact with the hardi-board to prevent direct contact. There's been some discussion about how well this joint will perform with tile spanning it. There's likely to be some small amount of movement at this joint - and although it will remain waterproof, there's also a chance for the tile or grout to crack at that joint.

Also note that backer board used with the Redi Pan must be waterproof - so your typical hardi-board will need the seams taped with mesh tape and thinset and then the hardi-board (not the redi pan) will need to be coated with red guard or something similar.

I think that the Shluter systems installed by a qualified installer is going to be a more high quality product because they are providing the walls, base, etc and aren't relying on other products like red guard for a water tight system.

A detail note about the curb / floor connection outside the shower: Remember we said don't depend on caulk to make things waterproof. The Shluter curb is water proof, but water OUTSIDE the curb can penetrate the joint where the floor meets the curb. You want to be sure that you make that water tight by connecting the outside of the curb with your floor backer board using some of the Kirdi band and corners.

Note that you want a Schluter system trained installer. They should know these things, but by understanding the details you can know when something isn't right.

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    5 years ago
    just wanted to chime in and say I too once found a mushroom growing in my bathroom! you are not alone. Lol....this was many years ago and we had just purchased a house that needed a lot of work. It was growing in rotted wood between the carpet (yes, carpet!) and tub. We gutted everything and found a lot of rot in the walls too. Definitely worth doing it all at once. you don't want to do anything to twice.
    HU-766231998 thanked Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 years ago

A couple of notes. Waterproofing Systems work great when the manufacturer instructions are followed. I will happily help folks with different systems. Tile Redi is the one system that I will tell folks not to use. As a professional I came across these bases a few times. I called their tech dept. as I always do with any product new to me. I inquired about the joint where wall board meets the top of the base and tile is bonded to both surfaces spanning the joint.. This is a movement joint that must be honored through the entire installation. They told me to follow TCNA details. (which is what I do and why I called) Asked which detail they followed. No answer. Final response was and I quote "it is what it is" Not what I'll base my reputation on.

@ Jake, There is no such thing as a Schluter certified installer. Folks that have attended a 2 day seminar can say they are factory trained although they may never have installed a piece of tile in their lives. Probably don't want to hire based on Schluter training. I've been to the class 1&2 multiple times and have installed there system successfully many times since it came out. I've used Ditra since '92' when it was in a straight line pattern not a waffle as it is today. There is a reason I switched to USG's shower system 3yrs ago. Hire by experience. Not based on attending a seminar. The following link is worth reposting.

https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer

HU-766231998 thanked Creative Tile Eastern CT
  • Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

Yeah, as soon as I said "certified" I knew I shouldn't have. The point is you want someone who is trained using a system, knows what they are doing and this isn't their first time.

I don't have experience with the Redi pan but I was completely unimpressed by their video. Too many details that I could see would be a problem (like the bare aluminum flashing next to cement board) and joint movement

The USG system looks reasonable too. It's a complete system.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 years ago

Jake, My comment was not to criticize you but to help homeowners weed through all the misleading info on the internet, YouTube, DIY shows & box stores. The link above was my only post as I felt it was a single source for the questions that need to be asked for ones own protection.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

Creative Tile Eastern CT that's a great resource - thanks for posting it.

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay so some of the shower is torn up. Looks like water was seeping into the curb for some time. And, the end wall tile was not waterproofed, rather just drywall, but the rest were Backer board. our contractor doesn’t seem to think black mold, rather water damage, mildew. Currently airing it out with bleach. Any thoughts or advice? (More will be torn out than already is)

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

So clearly this was half-assed - that's my very first thought.

You know you can't salvage any of this - right? Even if the other walls have tile backer I'll bet they were never waterproofed.

Tile over drywall in a shower?!? WTF?

Get it all torn out. The plywood under the base is probably rotten also. If you are lucky you can patch in the plywood without getting into your main floor much. You will need to remove the floor tile in front of the shower so you can waterproof the new curb to the tile backer on the floor.

Once it's out I'd mix up some bleach solution in a large spray bottle and wet everything that looks like mold down with it. Be sure to use a mask and turn on the bathroom fan.

Then let it all dry out - perhaps even put a box fan on it for a day or three.

Then you can put it back together the right way.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

OMG. Just drywall? Who would actually do that? Yikes what a mess. Glad you decided to go ahead and investigate this now...before it got even worse.

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah the last tile that is half inside the shower and half outside was drywall. My contractor suggested ripping out the first and maybe second rows to see what we have and obviously the floor and the entire curb. He thinks properly bleaching, airing out, waterproofing all that and putting in the new pan then tiling will be adequate. We don’t exactly have the $ for a full gut now, but I do understand that is the ideal course of Action. Could what is suggested be enough for Now? Do large amounts of water enter the rest of the wall in a shower stall? Again, I do realize and agree that a full gut is the best course of action. What a nightmare.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"Could what is suggested be enough for Now?"

What is you definition of "for now"? You will need to do it all sooner rather than later. You cannot effectively waterproof that hot mess tieing into the rest of the shower. How do you know what is above is done any better? Tear it out now you will end up having to redo the pan when you gut anyway.

Proverbial lipstick on a pig. Tear it out now.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

Dude, really, you need to rip it out now. You can't fix this and you can't put in a full waterproof system. Anything you do is likely to leak in a year or three and you will be right back here.

Everything that has been done on this job was done really badly - we knew it when we saw the tile and we haven't been proven wrong yet.

You may also need a different contractor.

Let me give you a tip about work like this: You will always get a better, cleaner, usually less expensive bid if you get the tear-out done first - then ask them to bid.

Nobody likes to bid a job where they can't really see what they are doing and are likely to run into surprises. When asked to do that, contractors will often build in padding OR they will jack the cost way up because they don't really want it unless they get a lot of money for it.

Also, you avoid people taking shortcuts because they ran into unforeseen issues and now the job's not profitable for them.

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes. I hear you all and agree. Was hoping for a different answer. so, when you say gut or tear out - that just means all the shower tiles within the stall (wall and floor) - yes?

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

yes, including the wallboard to the studs. and the shower base to the plywood. You need to be able to see the plumbing in the wall in case they did anything stupid that is leaking there too.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

Did you see anything that looks like waterproofing on the tile backer (Red Guard)? Are the corners and joints of the tile backer joined with thinset and mesh tape? I'm going to guess not - given that they tiled over drywall. It's a total crap job.

How many bathrooms in this house? Use another one for a year if you have to until you save up the money to do this one right. I've lived in far worse for longer.

• adawn5
    5 years ago

Just for future reference, I believe Concrobium (which can be found at the big orange box store) is better than bleach for dealing with mold.

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Looks like all drywall in the first row. Can’t beliebe anyone would install a shower that way. It’s a wonder it didn’t get worse quicker. How many rows up does cement board or the like typically go up? All the way?

• Chessie
    5 years ago

" You will always get a better, cleaner, usually less expensive bid if you get the tear-out done first - then ask them to bid.

Nobody likes to bid a job where they can't really see what they are doing and are likely to run into surprises. When asked to do that, contractors will often build in padding OR they will jack the cost way up because they don't really want it unless they get a lot of money for it."

That is FABULOUS advice. I never even thought about it this way.

• Tony Stevens
    5 years ago
    HU, contractors are homeowners too. He’s probably wondering what he got himself into. He’s likely trying to be conscious of your budget, but also trying to be diplomatic in his own way. Try and rephrase your approach with him. Ask him for two quote options: To continue opening up the walls and chasing damage piece by piece, then repair what he comes across and the warranty that comes with it, and; For a complete strip and redo with warranty. Then the next question: Ask him what he would do if it was his bathroom.
  • HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great advice. Thanks tony. I will do as you suggested. He is a local guy and I know he isn’t trying to take advantage and as you mentioned, he realizes costs are adding up quick. My concern is if the entire shower stall is simply dry wall...

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

I'm not saying he's trying to take advantage of you... but I'm saying I'd question anyone's willingness to try to retain any of that.

Clear it out - then get bids.

You can say to him - "Hey, this is turning into something else and a much larger job. How about you doing the demo work and then I'd like to re-evaluate once we have it all open. Once it's open I'd like to get quotes on a rebuild given the new scope of the work that needs to be done."

You are going to use backer board as high up as the tile - often all the way up. But really a qualified installer will be making those decisions - you just need to have enough information that you don't get a bad installer again.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    5 years ago

Chess-yeah that's me

Contractors are in business to make money - and there's nothing at all wrong with that. If they didn't make money there wouldn't be any contractors.

Any contractor with even a bit of experience knows that a profitable job can become an unprofitable job REALLY FAST if they aren't careful. Most don't have X-Ray vision either.

When the scope of work isn't clear is when things can go bad. When the homeowner thinks the job is "X" only to find out it's "Y" is when the homeowner gets unhappy and the contractor is under pressure to "make it work". "You said it was going to cost $10k and now you say it's going to be $20k... I don't have that much money and I think you are ripping me off .... " is kinda how that conversation goes.

If the scope of work is at all unclear - as in "I don't know what this will look like when we open it up", you should hire someone to do the demo and then you can get clean bids.

• Tony Stevens
    5 years ago
    I like Jake’s advice.
  • HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great points. Thanks Jake. He offered to open up so I’ll take him up on that and see where we stand as you mention.

• robledol
    5 years ago

If you do end up needing a custom shower pan due to the stud placement, I would definitely recommend Tile Redi's new custom pan - Redi Your Way. It is a solid one-piece PVC shower pan, not just liner that will ensure these issues will never happen!

HU-766231998 thanked robledol
  • HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks robledol- if we use our current contractor he prefers tile redi. We have a pending order for a custom pan, just need to confirm measurements after we solidify our plan to gut. he also said he has never had an issue with their pans.

• Elizabeth B
    5 years ago

I recently gutted my 35 year old shower that was done in all drywall. Suprisingly no tiles fell off the wall before I took a hammer to it but it did smell wet and gross. InI'm using shluter kerdi in the new one do youyour research on how its installed so you can make sure they are following the appropriate steps.

• Kathleen K
    5 years ago

Our two yucky shower stalls have that suspicious change of tile a couple rows up so I know we will find a half a job was done to fix a leaky pan. I wonder if it has kept slab damp enough to have cause floor issues in adjoining rooms.

in last house we discovered the builder tiled over Sheetrock. Our design decision to change tub tile to match new floor became a gut it to the studs and replace soggy insulation. Go all the way and gut it now.

• Georgi
    5 years ago

We had the new rubber pan and two row up tile repair done in a shower about 15 years ago. Haven't had any problems that I can see, but I will be watching it now after reading these posts!

HU-766231998 thanked Georgi
  • HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the floor and first and second rows are being gutted tomorrow. WILL let you know what we find. Thanks again!

• HU-766231998
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Georgi - what was the condition of your first 2 rows? Did you have drywall too?

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

HU, you are probably not aware that cement backer board like Durock is not waterproof. I know that I did not know this before reading this forum. You have to put waterproofing all the way up the walls using even Durock. I bet you also did not know that grout is not waterproof. Grout, as in what goes between the tiles in the shower! This is why even walls must be waterproofed.

When you go to rebuild the shower, I would like to suggest something. A lot of people get condensation above the shower, on the walls. When the shower tile ends at 6 ft or 7ft, there are usually painted walls above the shower. I have a pet peeve about this because every shower I have had that had the walls end before the ceiling had molding on that paint where it met the tile.

I know that if your exhaust fan is good, this is not supposed to happen, but I just never get used to turning on the fan (and in winter, using it makes the bathroom cold). I was probably 30 before I had a house with an exhaust fan. I solved this problem in my remodel by getting an exhaust fan from Panasonic that senses the humidity and turns on.

So consider getting a less expensive tile that you can afford to take to the ceiling. It is just one more place that you don't have to clean in the long run!

• Georgi
    5 years ago

HU, Sorry I don't remember the condition of the walls above the repair, but I would imagine if I saw any black spots I would have wanted to investigate further as it was my daughter's bathroom. At the time the house was 10 years old, so it probably was just some type of green sheetrock? We had them install a panel underneath the showerpan (over garage) to periodically check for leaks, it's still good.