SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianey

Kerdi shower pan - drain not centered; is it really a problem?

dianey
7 years ago

We're prepping to redo our shower in a few weeks and are gathering information and supplies so we're ready to go when the time comes. We're currently going back and forth about whether we actually need to move our drain.

Our current shower is (about) 32" x 36" with a (sortof) centered drain - the drain is about 17" off of the back wall and 17" off of the right wall.

We'd like to expand the shower a little bit so the Kerdi pan (inside of the curbs) will be about 32" x 42", which would mean the drain would need to be moved to the left about 4" if it were to be centered.

We have a 48" x 48" Kerdi pan, so we'll be cutting some off of all sides. If the drain were centered, we'd cut 6" off of the length and 16" off of the width - splitting both of those in half to make sure we cut the same amount off of opposite sides (so 3" off opposite sides and 8" off opposite sides). I understand that, because the pan is sloped, there will be a slight discrepancy on the edges that can, hopefully, be hidden with tile and grout.

However, if we didn't center the drain and just left it where it was, I could cut almost the same amount off of 3 sides and just not cut the 4th side at all (I'd cut 7" off of the back and right wall and 9" off the front side).

I'm not sure if you can see what I mean from my drawing here. The top sketch is the shower layout and the bottom sketch is how we would cut the Kerdi pan.

It seems to me it would be better to have three sides with similar heights and just need to deal with one side that might be off by about 1/8", so I can't think of any reason why this would be a bad idea:

- I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with drainage because the drain is still the lowest point

- I'm using small, hexagonal mosaic tiles, so I should have some wiggle room and I won't have straight grout lines

Is there a reason that I'm not thinking of that we should move the drain over 4"?

Thank you for any help. I've been reading a lot about Kerdi here (and have seen Mongo's epic thread) and am learning a lot.

Comments (8)