SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilhaines

Orbit Atta-Boy!

Wil Haines
5 years ago

Recently sent a warning about the Bhyve problem with obtaining a Wi-Fi hub for the bluetooth hose controller. I also mentioned that one of my newer timer-only Orbit hose controllers stopped working. I sent Orbit a notice about the controller and, to my surprise, two new controllers arrived via UPS today. If that's not an atta-boy for the company, I don't know what is. They didn't even ask for the broken one to be returned. Thank you Orbit for great customer support and service. For established lawns needing an extra spot of water here and there, I think the timer-only models work just fine. I've been using them for a few years. I now have a complete in-ground sprinkler system ( approx. 12,000 sq. ft.) and still find these timer-only hose bib watering controllers to be very useful when a fixed watering schedule is in order for a small area. For new grass however, (and otherwise for that matter) I think the Bhyve (Wi-Fi enabled) controller is the berries inasmuch that you can control the hose bib system from your iPhone, computer, or whatever from wherever you are and have an internet signal. This allows you to keep the ground and new seeds moist without over-watering the lawn. I just over-seeded my lawn (20-25% bare) and and used my in-ground sprinkler Rachio wi-fi controller to schedule watering which ranged from 3 minutes per zone to about 20 minutes at times, depending upon the temperature, sun, wind, slope, etc. Since I have 15 zones, the 3-4 minute schedule allowed me to get moisture to the new seeds in a relatively short period of time and then usually followed by a more lengthy 10-20 minute watering at each zone, as appropriate. It seemed to work, so far. The Orbit Bhyve will do the same thing in smaller sections running off a hose bib. Pretty cool way to get a small lawn section re-seeded. In my opinion, re-seeding, in particular, is a tricky matter unless you have adequate watering until germination occurs; not too little, not too much. That is why I am so impressed with the at-your-service and on-demand wi-fi controllers. Attached is a sectional photo of my Kentucky Bluegrass overseed and re-seed lawn project from about 1 week ago. In the last week, it has grown even a lot more and is really starting to look nice. I do have several isolated weeds, including about 12 Canadian thistle weeds which will need some attention. But overall, I am well pleased with the results and thankful for the great help from this forum along the way. I am by no means a lawn expert, but thought I would pass this along, since my forum tutors saved me a whole lot of work by eliminating aeration and other labor intensive soil preparation chores. I did dethatch with a Mantis tiller attachment, but essentially nothing more, prior to seeding. I filled 9 fifty gallon bags with dethathing and grass clippings as I dethatched and mowed short prior to seeding. Last, but not least, I did spend a lot of time walking the property each day (minus 3 days away, but watered from my iPhone based upon temp., sun, wind, etc.) after seeding to ensure that I was getting enough moisture to the lawn, so it did take some well spent personal time. PS - The one bare looking spot in the picture is now filling in with new KBG. It just took more time in this and a few other areas. The new grass is now twice as high as when this picture was taken and the old grass is about 5-6" tall in this picture. The wi-fi controller(s), in my opinion, is(are) well worth the money invested when revamping a lawn. In fact, they may even save you some money before it is all said and done. If the new seed doesn't germinate....... well let's not even think about that. I've been there and it is not a pretty site. Hope it helps a bit for some.

Comment (1)