SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcmahonvincent

DIY Water Softener Solution

mcmahonvincent
5 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I think i need to install a water Softener solution in my home.

For years we have noticed shower heads will get blocked, Water stains etc and really just ignored it. Last year I had a pipe feeding my kitchen sink just snap off in my hands. It was corroded. At that point, I had a local Water Softener company come in and provided the below information. I did not move forward. Last week I had another spigot on my well tank snap off in my hands again. I think maybe I need to address the issue at this point.
I have well water. submersible pump, pressure tank, sediment filter, and 80 gallon electric water heater. Most of my house is plumbed with PEX, altho I have some copper, and PEX-AL-PEX from my pump to well tank. 5 in the house.

Onsite test results from local company:

• Water Hardness - 11 GPG - Advised that this is extremely hard
  • PH - 6.3. - Advised that this is acidic
  • TDS - 340 PPM

I will get an independant test done in the next week or so to validate these results.

They proposed the following (09/2017):
Water Softener -:
Option 1 -:Kinetico Powerline 1054 Water Softening System - $2,100, including installation. Option 2 -:Kinetico Premier S-150 Water Softener - $3,100., including installation.
PH -:Kinetico Powerline 1354 Acid Neutralizer, which uses Calcite as its media - $1,900.
Drinking Water-:Kinetico K5 Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Purification System - $1,895.

This is a lot of money to have to shell out. Even if I went with the lower priced softener, still looking at guts of 6K. I have a feeling that the above quote is exorbitant.

My question is can I design, purchase and install a comparable system myself. I am comfortable with plumbing, construction etc and have done a lot of it - just not familiar with water softeners and looking to learn. I don't mind putting in a good high quality system, I would like go with a system that the customer service will work with a consumer and one that has any maintenance/replacement parts generally available to consumers.

The other requirement, is I am concerned about the added Sodium. We have low salt requirements in the home. I have read that potassium chloride (?) is an option instead of salt?

Can anyone weigh in on the above proposal, and also what a DIY install would look like. Glad to provide any further information.

Thanks. Vincent

Comments (6)