SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Advice on angel food cake...

Anglophilia
5 years ago

My grandmother (born in 1879) always made an angel food cake for her children's birthdays (she had 6 children). She passed the recipe on to my mother who continued the tradition, making one for me on my birthday. I followed this and made one for my children (until my son decided he preferred chocolate cake), and today make them for my two local grandson's birthdays.

In the hand-written recipe my grandmother gave my mother, she specified to use 1 dozen "old" eggs - said never to use "new" ones. So for years, my mother, and later I, always bought the eggs for the cake at least a week ahead of time - sometimes 2 weeks. The cakes were delicious.

But the last two cakes needed to be baked with little notice ahead of time, and I used eggs bought the day before. They were the highest and lightest angel food cakes I'd ever made, and the others had been light and high, too, or so I thought.

I pondered this when I was took the latest one from the oven late Sat afternoon. It was then that I realized that my grandmother KEPT CHICKENS in her back yard. When she was talking about "new" eggs, the ones she had just gathered were probably still warm! So she used ones a few days old. Well, by the time today's grocery store eggs are lain, gathered, put in cartons and transported to my local Kroger, they are far from being "new" eggs!

I will now have to revise that family recipe so we will not use week old eggs in the future. This reminded me of a story I heard once that someone was told to bake a ham in a particular sized pan. Three generations later, the originator of this family "legend" was asked why that size pan was so important, and was told that it happened to be the size of the ONLY pan she had!

Family recipes are always an adventure to decipher.

Comments (25)