SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lgfitzgerald

Help! Any chance of avoiding uneven floors?

Lisa
5 years ago

We’re remodeling and adding 200 sq. ft. to our 1924 California bungalow, and I wanted to keep as much of the original charm as possible (reusing the original doors and glass knobs, we’ve refinished the dining room built-ins, etc.) One goal of the remodel was to create a completely level floor throughout the house, which we have never had.

Once several layers of linoleum were removed from the kitchen, we found out there was no subfloor, so in order to continue the living and dining floors into the kitchen, we would create small step-ups, which I really don’t want, so we asked about dropping the kitchen floor, which we can do--problem solved. But, my new problem is that the small addition we’ve added includes two areas where the floors have already been tiled, and they now sit higher than the original wood . . . uneven floors.

The flooring guy is telling me that the living and dining room have oak, whereas the rest of the house has fir. He’s saying that the oak isn’t original and that the fir is soft and not a good choice (although it seems to have done fairly well for being almost 100 years old); his recommendation is to install all new oak floors and create the level floor we want. I’m struggling with tearing out perfectly good flooring. Does anyone have some ideas other than these two options (install all new floors or live with the unevenness?)

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer.

Comments (10)