SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesniffer

Moving to Zone 5a: Which Roses do you Recommend?

Rose Sniffer
5 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I have been getting ready to move all the way to upstate NY in zone 5a. From what my boyfriend is telling me, it's gonna be COLD!!!! We will see how I will adapt as I was on the west coast of Florida for 4 years. Anyways, the unnecessary details aside, I thought that I might ask the gardeners already up in zone 5a what are your favorite roses?

I have a feeling I might have to leave my roses behind to my family. I'll be moving around December, so I was wondering if I could just haul them up there while they are dormant, but Jude the Obscure is listed RIGHT at 5a for the hardiness zone. With recent years' weather trends of colder winters, I sure am worried! Also worried about my Olivia Rose Austin. So please give me some insight as to what your favorite roses are that can survive the winters! I especially love pastel-toned roses as well as all shades of peach/pink! I wanted so dearly to grow a climbing rose, but where I am moving does not allow climbing plants on the walls for maintenance reasons.

Before I go crazy and start looking into new roses to order, please let me know which roses are growing nice and healthy for you and survive the 5a winters! If I can take my two roses up, that is even better! I have my eyes on a new rose called All Dressed Up, but it is also listed right at zone 5 for hardiness. As for other flowers, I'm having the mentality of growing everything as annuals since I will not be in upstate NY for more than 3 years and I like to grow different flowers! I feel so crazy I'm going from zone 9b to 7b to 5a all in one year... and this gardening hobby started this year. I'm SO thankful for the internet and online gardening webs like this! PHEW!!!

Comments (9)