SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edanz

Support for kitchen peninsula 15 inch granite countertop overhang

edanz
5 years ago

Hi everyone, I am having 3 cm granite countertops installed in about three weeks. We have a peninsula that will also serve as a breakfast area. The granite there will have 38 cm (15 inches) of overhang over a span of 135 cm (51 inches).

I'm a little nervous because here in Germany, kitchens don't usually have this type of overhang, and most professionals we talk to have never done it before (most people here usually want less than 10 inches of overhang for their bars. We feel like we have plenty of room and would like lots of space for the kids to sit, eat, do homework, etc.

Our kitchen installers only planned for 12 inches of overhang (which they were going to leave unsupported), we told them during installation that we had requested 15, and that we understood that it would have to be supported somehow. They only suggested adding a single leg under one corner (on the left side), since the opposite side can be supported at the wall (it's a peninsula). Their suggestion made me nervous, and makes me wonder if a single leg is enough.

I am getting ready to suggest that we do two columns with stretcher bars (like a table), attached to the peninsula. But, since this is my own idea, i am still wondering if it will be enough to be 100% safe.

I am including two photos, one of the kitchen island view, and the second of the columns/apron setup I'm thinking about.

Could someone weigh in as to whether the setup is viable and safe? We have small children (under 5) and need this to be super safe.

Do bear in mind that this is Germany. Most kitchen places have not even heard of invisible steel supports or anything elaborate like that. This is why I thought of legs/apron for this, since any carpenter can produce them readily.

The columns would be about 11 cm square (4 5/16 inch). In my thinking the apron would consist of 8 x 5 cm lumber (3 1/8 x 2 inches). The whole thing would be attached to the peninsula.

Comments (11)