SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_343860905

Help! Countertop Sitting Area Overhang - 12 or 15 inch?

N
4 years ago

Hi good people, need help with overhang depths for seating: I've heard that the standard size countertop seating should be from 12-15 inches for a countertop height of 36 inches (91 cm).

We've got ample space around our peninsula seating, but my GC is suggesting that we use 12 inches because 15 in will be too much space. I told him 12 inches seems too little space for knee room, and since we have space, we should enlarge. He is suggesting 14 inches to avoid wasted space. Is he correct - that 15 inches is way too large for an island seating overhang? I thought it would be just enough clearance. (Granted getting storage out of there would be slightly better with a shallower overhang but it's not going to be easy anyway).

I haven't sat at a 36" countertop seat in a while, and haven't been able to find a restaurant/cafe with some to demo. 12 inches seems great for a high countertop like a bar, but it seems too short for a 36 inch countertop. (p.s. my family and I are not short - long legged here).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before we commit to possibly uncomfortably hitting our knees for the years of breakfast ahead - what a way to spoil a good moment with a cup of coffee! Help please :)

Upper East Side Renovation · More Info

Comments (20)