SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awhite522

Conifers/evergreens that can grow in a container + tolerate winter sun

A W
5 years ago

Hi, I'm in southern ontario Z6b, I'm looking for something evergreen that can grow on my deck and add some color and life in the winter while growing in a container (size is not a problem) as well as tolerate winter outside + southern exposure. Although it's generally quite cloudy here in winter.

I know that things can get winter burn particularly on a southern unsheltered side but is there anything more resistant to it?

For example I have 2 Dwarf Alberta Spruce growing in pots for the past 2 years, they are on the deck (south side) spring and summer and for the winter I move them to the front of the house (north shaded side). I only move them to an unheated garage during unusually cold weather which is usually for a few days each month during the past 2 yrs. And they have been doing great, but I hear they are very prone to winter burn and have seen it on the neighbors that are planted in ground on the south side. so I always kept them on the north side in winter just to be safe and will this year as well.

I also had a Forever Goldy Arborvitae last year on the north side porch to be safe which was brought in more often but still outside in a pot most of the winter and did well but was planted in a new bed this year.

I have had a small Baby blue spruce grow on the south side in winter in a pot for a couple years before planting it in ground last year and also had a globe blue spruce on the south side deck for the past 2 years without any problem completely perfect no dead branches, no falling needles, good growth following year. It was never brought in, even during almost record breaking temps last year and always did perfect even on the unsheltered south side.

But I have enough blue spruces and want something new + different...is there anything else that will do fine in a container with an unexposed southern exposure with only minimal damage? It can be brought to the unheated garage like the dwarf alberta spruce if it is unusually freezing temporarily, but I'd like to enjoy looking at it from the window in the winter.

I don't mind if it is only for a few years and planted in the yard afterwards. Any suggestions? I was thinking about maybe a young pine (eastern white or jack or other??) But not really sure how it would tolerate southern exposure + unsheltered winter location?

Open to suggestions! Thanks for the help.

Comments (15)