SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

are conifers the best overstory for broad leaf evergreens?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
12 years ago

OK, I could ask this over in trees, but there's a lot of noise in that forum, or in the rhododendron forum, but that one is somewhat moribund.

A staff member at Rarefind told me that oaks make the best over story plantings. But I was thinking about the drought recently, and wondered, are there any comparative studies on how much water a grouping of tree types sucks up, per unit height or trunk diameter? Because wouldn't conifers transpire less water than an oak? Isn't that why conifers predominate in more arid regions, because they are "water wise"? I've noticed that the area under my hemlock, which is thought to be a thirsty conifer, doesn't get very dry, while the area under huge maples is hard and dry as concrete.

What I do know is that in wet years, the death of a large oak can sometimes cause even sun-tolerant plants underneath it to die from drowning, because water is no longer being wicked away from the soil. So this proves they are affecting the local hydrogeology. But I'd say odds are for more dry years in the future instead of wet ones...except perhaps in the PNW. A possible benefit of deciduous tree material is it doesn't create cold, dark pockets in the winter garden...but winter shade is valuable for some plants like camellias, and of course you can still have conifers that lose their leaves, like bald cypress and larches. My Larix X eurolepis is surprising me by growing like gangbusters even in this hot dry summer.

Comments (15)