If you're going to work telemarking, you should speak slowly...or
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Those with GC problems, you're not alone.
Comments (7)ladycfp, I'm too much of a realist to think that way, but you may be right! muscat, the second guy is the son of a friend of mine. The father isn't in the contracting business but both father and son are intelligent, exacting men who make sure whatever they do is done correctly as it has their "signature" on it. I've seen the son's work several times and it's not just good, it's excellent. He tends to do higher end homes so I never considered him to begin with. If I'd known about him and his price from the beginning I would've gone with him. All that being said, I think we'll stick with the original guys. I'll call again tomorrow and clarify that we're definitely on in 9 days. Any hesitation on their part and we'll switch to the other fellow....See MoreYou know you're redoing your kitchen when....
Comments (64)Ever since I joined this Forum and had been looking at kitchens and floors, I always have a tape measurer in my purse and a bigger one in my car. I also notice every counter and cabinet wherever I go and told a tax client of mine that his house is not selling due to the outdated kitchen in a rich neighborhood and he has to either update it or offer a large credit at closing so new buyers can buy a new kitchen. It has now been a year and his house has not sold and he has since bought a new house. He is finally agreeing with me that I was right all along since he loves the kitchen in his new house....See MoreOT: Pretend you're moving into a new (to you) home ...
Comments (45)Haven't read all of this yet (but will later), but what I wanted to know was the ID of various plants in the front and back yard and any special care information for them, especially the citrus and fruit trees. I did meet with the previous owner, and he was not a lot of help - he could not identify all of the plants, and he could not provide me with instructions for the sprinkler system or the thermostat. Eventually we figured out the sprinkler system controls (or at least DB did), but I'm still not quite sure how they work. We put in a new thermostat when we put in A/C, and the new one is much easier to use. The previous owner told us that we could download instructions manuals for these items, but such was not the case. We took out a bunch of trees that the previous owner had planted, including an ornamental peach and a couple of plum trees that never made more than a dozen plums and were gangly. We kept the Fuji apple tree but got rid of the grape vine - it was only good for leaves, and we put a stone path where it used to be so that I can put orchid cactus in pots there. We received a history of the house from someone (the realtor, I think), and it gave names of all the previous owners, going back to 1950, and also listed when additions were made. The house is now almost twice the size it was when it was first built....See MoreWhat do you make when you're bored?
Comments (28)There are a whole panoply of Russian and Slavic words for different kinds of dumplings and buns, and I get lost. :) Some are regional and some have morphed over time. I never heard of pierogi until I saw a bag in the freezer section of Trader Joe's. I had to check my definitions because the only ones my mother made were pirozhki. I'm sure it was my grandmother's voice I heard when my mother said "pirozshki". (pier-ohzh-KEY ("pier" like the dock, long "o" (almost a "u"), zh like the medial "g" in the American way of saying "garage", shorter duration of the vowel "i" than the full amount we give to the word "key" (or the end of "donkey". It's a long "i" for a short time.) There are Russian dumplings very similar to pierogi with a different name, and so-called "Russian" pierogi with cabbage. PM, according to Wikipedia a pasty is made with pie crust and baked. Salteñas are a form of empanada, so called (as notes Wikipedia) in reference to their popularity as empanada from the Salteña, the woman from Salta. Like most empanadas, they are baked and have a short dough, but not pie flaky. It's the Salteña filling that's most distinctive. In many ways, empanadas are different from pasties, but are underlyingly the same. It's like the difference between English and American language. The same language but different words and accents. I would call pasties and empanadas "hand pies", whereas pirozhki are risen, fried buns (though some people do bake them) with filling. And a pirog is a whole loaf of yeast bread. But they're all dough wrapped around filling, as are all kinds of other pastries with different heritages and names. Tacos and burritos could also be on the list, though the dough part is usually cooked first, then recooked with the filling. And tacos are usually fried, though not risen. :)...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

SAVING WATERHouzz Call: Are You Letting Go of Your Lawn?
Many facing a drought are swapping turf for less thirsty plantings. If you’re one of them, we’d like to hear about it
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSKitchen Counters: Granite, Still a Go-to Surface Choice
Every slab of this natural stone is one of a kind — but there are things to watch for while you're admiring its unique beauty
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGoing on Vacation? How to Ensure Your Garden Survives
Water deeply, mulch beds and move containers into partial shade to keep plants alive while you’re away
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow to Create an Inventory, Whether You're Naturally Organized or Not
Documenting your home items is essential, even if disaster seems unimaginable. And it may be easier than you think
Full Story
FLOWERSRudbeckia Mania: Go Beyond Black-Eyed Susan in the Garden
Branch out from typical nursery fare, with lesser-known Rudbeckia species that have delightfully unexpected features
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESLiving Room Features That Never Go Out of Style
These key pieces will help your living room keep its good looks, no matter what's in fashion
Full Story
COLORHow to Add Color if You’re Color Shy
Here’s how to break into the world of color without breaking a sweat
Full Story
HOLIDAYSCollecting Christmas Ornaments That Speak to the Heart
Crafted by hand, bought on vacation or even dug out of the discount bin, ornaments can make for a special holiday tradition
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESEdit Keepsakes With Confidence — What to Let Go and What to Keep
If mementos are weighing you down more than bringing you joy, here's how to lighten your load with no regrets
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGHow to Let Go of Unwanted Books and Magazines
Buried in reading material? This guide will help you decide what to keep and what to give away, sell or recycle
Full Story
lovemrmewey