SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robertgoulet

custom hood for pro range?

robertgoulet
5 years ago

my neighbor works for someone who owns a bunch of restaurants. He makes tables/counters/hoods/etc for those restaurants from stainless steel in their shop. He is willing/able to make a vent hood for me...his one concern was that he said he wouldnt know how to make it for the blower to go in it since all the restaurants use remote blowers (so presumably its just a hood, that can hold some sort of filter/grate, and attach to a duct?).

I was thinking of going with a remote blower for our new range/kitchen anyway because it would be out the back of the house (so I dont care a whole lot about the looks) and because I assume it would keep the kitchen a lot quieter.

At first I was thinking of going this route to save money, but now, as we are getting ready to order the cabinets, and I havent finalized which range im getting (and thus which hood) I am thinking unless there are some major concerns with this approach that another benefit is, I can make the hood as deep as I want and as slim as I want.

Two of the top ranges I am considering are the bluestar 36 and wolf 36, each with a griddle in the middle....wolf maybe dual fuel...maybe not. It was recommended to me in another thread that since I dont have the space to go 3" wider on each side of the range with the hood, I should be sure to get a hood that sticks out a full 24".

I dont want the kitchen to be all about the hood, so even if its barely functional due to the ducting being in the cabinet, I like the idea of a slim wall mounted hood with cabinets above it. The bluestar hood is only 10" high and sticks out 24" so thats good...but if I wind up going with Wolf...their slim hood only sticks out 22", and to get one that sticks out 24" I have to go 18" high which would delete my upper cabinet.

So I guess I am thinking if there are no concerns with having this custom hood made for me, then I can order the cabinets and not worry about it, and then no matter which way I go with a range, I can get a 10" tall hood...that sticks out 24" (or even 27").

These hoods arent rocket science right? Its not like their shape is designed in a wind tunnel to be paired with a specific blower for optimal efficiency...or are they?

Comments (10)