SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Just how poisonous are arisaema? Also proper way to store them

Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I dug up one dormant one(arisaema mayebarae) in order to store them indoors for the winter. I cut off the remaining stems as close to the tip of the tuberous bulb as possible and as I was doing that all the juice in the stem came out too and I did not have gloves on and now my hands are all stingy and burning! Not the worst thing but it feels like small needles poking at me. I didn't know arisaema were that poisonous. This reminds me of aconitum.

Btw, a slightly different question. So the digging up and storing process was like this: dig up bulb, wash off all soil, cut off all roots as close to the tuber bulb as possible, dip it in physan 20 fungicide 1tbsp/gallon water in bucket and there I tried to rub off any remaining soil it, then I pat dried it with paper towel multiple times, waited about 1.5 hours until it dried then placed in a ziplock bag full of perlite and completely covered with it then poked some holes in the bag to give it some air. What is the ideal temperature to store these things? I tried putting it in the fridge and my dad said no saying he doesn't want a poisonous plant in the same place as the food we eat.

Comments (37)