SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loganzz

I need to rant about my frustration in growing roses

Clare
5 years ago

I don't expect you to feel the need to cheer me up, I just want to get it off my chest here with other rose lovers who can probably relate.

It's getting harder and harder in my garden and sometimes I just feel so helpless in thinking that I shouldn't even have a rose garden anymore. We grow roses because they bring us much joy, lately I'm experiencing more frustrations and stress than enjoyment.

I'm starting to miss the days where Mosaic Virus was all I worried about. I replaced many roses that displayed symptoms with virus free ones because it was suggested that the Mosaic Virus could be spread by aphids. The own-roots however never really took off and so I found myself getting grafted roses again.

Then, many of my roses succumbed to sympoms of Rose Rosette Disease so that was a whole other set of replacing and digging up of roses I loved. Digging up the soil and replacing it was back breaking work but it's been a while now though since I've seen one get affected.

Now, crown gall seems to have invaded my yard. I feel embarrassed to say it but it's true. At first I found out that a whole bunch of my potted roses had it in their roots, and now that I'm digging around the roots of my in ground planted roses I'm finding them there too. I'd say they're in at least 50% of my roses. A lot of them are even from new roses I purchased just two or three years ago from reputable growers that distribute nationally.

A younger more physically abled me would have dug these diseased roses with crown gall up and replaced them with the soil. These days I just feel like what's the point? I've taken so much care of my garden only to have somehow introduced a whole bunch of roses with crown gall and not even knowing it for probably years. If the gall was on a stem it'd be easy to see and to cut off, easy to manage, but these are right at the crown, affecting all stems and peeking out of the soil. I do feel like lots of my roses have lost vigor lately. I feel like if I leave them, i'll just be propagating the bacteria to spread, but if I have them removed I'll just have to have no more roses. I've spoken to local Rosarians and they always say the same thing for every issue, to dig up the rose and burn it while removing the soil and not planting any roses for years, it's so much easier said than done. To do that requires physical strength and lots of money, and I've done it so many times already. My yard is small, and you are not supposed to replant in the same hole for years so there's nowhere I can plant. I just feel stuck like my love for roses can not exist anymore. Sounds silly I know, but after facing one thing after another, I'm not sure if I can have roses in my garden anymore and it deeply saddens me.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH