SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
humblechip

Help me grow-up my small bedroom?

humblechip
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I had been trying to relocate for a while, so had refrained from making any updates to this room, but my plans have changed and I will be staying here. As you can see by the photos, the room is on the small side and one wall is taken up by 2 closets. The room gets almost no natural light (the room next to it jets our farther and blocks to sun) so if there are things I can do to make up for that, I'd like to keep that in mind.

Taken from the door:

Taken from the corner with the chair:

Taken from the bed/windows:

The big thing I'd like to do is paint. But I have no idea what color to choose! My goal is a relaxed room like a hotel or spa. I want something darker than the current pale yellow. It needs to compliment the dark TV stand but I also want it to have a nice contrast against white (or light) curtains. I like cool tones and am leaning toward some type of light gray with a blue or purple tone. But I am very open to suggestions or persuasion toward warm tones. This is one example of a color I like (Sherwin Williams Ponder) of course I know I'll have to sample whatever I choose to see how it looks in the room. I've read on here that paint should be done last, but I'd kind of prefer to paint first and then pick things to compliment the paint.

I'm a little limited with positioning furniture and mostly like how it's laid out now, but I plan to remove the blue ottoman, bump the bed out from the wall a bit, and add a small nightstand with lamp on each side. Then center the TV stand with the bed, remove the chair, and replace the white piece under the mirror with a rectangular fabric ottoman. Like this:

(forgive my amateur not-to-scale draft paper app recreation :-) )

I was going to buy a new bed just so I can have the storage underneath but it wasn't going to be fancy. I've measured and I don't have enough space length-wise for a bed with headboard and footboard (or anything much longer than the mattress) while keeping the TV there. I'd like to keep the TV stand. New nightstands need to be about 15" wide or less. Here are the pieces I was looking at for bed and nightstands:

I just need to be mindful of the height of the nightstands vs the height of the bed. With a new bed frame I won't be using the box spring. What's appropriate? I prefer a lower bed in such a small space.

I'm also going to replace all the curtains (closets and windows). I was going to do white again but maybe something textured. Should I choose a different color? I want to avoid floor-length curtains on the windows because I tested it out once and it was just too much curtain combined in the room :-) I will replace the rug as well. Right now I like this:

I also need to decide on lamps and bedding, but alas am lost there as well. I think colors for everything will be determined by what wall paint I go with. I'm also going to take down all wall decor (except mirror and clock, although I might replace with darker versions) so I think I'll need something above the bed. I like my ukuleles though so I might keep them flanking the windows or move them, but find an alternative hanging solution (to avoid the dark clunky hangers they're on now).

I think that's it! I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions. Sorry if the post is too long and images too many. I'm just eager to give this room a facelift.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer