SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_760617595

Wrong house color. Remedies? Trim color?

Jill
5 years ago
We're almost done painting our house. I hate the color. I wanted a soft navy or something with more gray in it. We can't repaint. The color is Pittsburgh Paint's version of Benjamin Moore's Hale Navy. I went into this project ill-prepared and clueless and was rushed to make a decision on the pant color. Anyway, is there anyway that I can salvage it with trim color? Recommendations? Also, the "painter" (a handyman) did the eaves in the body color. Should those be repainted in the trim color? Would you recommend painting the foundation? If so, what color? I'm at a complete loss, and the anxiety sucking my life away. I want this nightmare to end. Please help!

Comments (42)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    5 years ago

Remove the shutters on front; they are not appropriate for that type of window. I would consider a cream color for the trim. Or a very light, almost white, gray.

• suezbell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Where direct sun reaches the painted surface, it's likely to fade with time to a lighter, more muted blue.

Though many homes with this color have white trim, you should realize that would visually make your bold blue seem brighter/bolder still.

Would not want a green or white door with that blue. If the doors and/or windows are metal, there are wood look paints (Giani) worth considering.

You might consider black or a dark gray for your fascia and window and door trim ... and, unless you're planning to face your foundaton with stone, you could paint that as well. From personal experience, black also fades over time and becomes a dark gray.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Have read and been told that a pale sky blue for the underside of an exterior overhang -- soffit and/or porch ceiling -- will limit likelihood of "bugs" building on it because they will perceive as sky.

• Snaggy
    5 years ago

White trim ?

• suezbell
    5 years ago

If you're in planting Zone 7, you might consider planting aucuba bushes around your back deck -- they keep their leaves and look good year round.

• Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice so far! I never thought to remove the shutters, but - duh! - that makes complete sense! Also, the green "trim" is actually the original color. Thank you!!
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Within the last month there was another homeowner who was dissatisfied painting the body of their house hale navy. It's a bummer.

Paint everything that is not lap siding (eaves)in a light color. Here are the ben moore coordinating color suggestions:

• della70
    5 years ago

Don't paint the foundation. Instead, plant low shrubs around it to hide the concrete and anchor the house to the landscape. Add a new, shiny light fixture and matching mailbox in brass to give it some bling!

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Here is a stunning house painted in Hale Navy. Instead of bright white a more subtle color for the trim is what they used: Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan HC-81 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/manchestertan

Decatur Craftsman · More Info

• gm_tx
    5 years ago

I love the color of your house! I think you're likely just not used to it, and it's hard to envision without the trim painted and finishing touches.

I agree with above comments to go with an off-white or cream for the trim.

Lots of possibilities for the door, it really just depends on what you like.

I did some quick googling, and this one came up, which is really nice, and quite similar to your house, in regards to style:

Agree with comment above to add a shiny new mailbox. I'd also add shiny new house numbers, and a nice, large sconce next to the door.

• chiflipper
    5 years ago

It's going to look great! Hostas are a good choice for your foundation plantings, select ones with a cream stripe. While not cheap to buy, they multiply like crazy. You might look around your neighborhood, some people are very generous about giving others "starter plants".

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

I think it looks beautiful! Lighten it up with an off-white or tan trim.

• Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I was thinking something like this for trim and door (stock photo). Thoughts?
  • Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Would the color be too much with our exposed eves (not demonstrated in the picture above).
  • Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Or maybe this (with a different door color perhaps), but there's something about the first palette that appeals to be more (possibly the "softness"??).
  • houssaon
    5 years ago

Jill, if you look at the Decatur Craftsman I posted above it has exposed eaves which are painted Manchester Tan, the trim color for the house.

Love the color of the front door (Wythe Blue) in Goveraxle's house.

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

I agree that a white or off white trim is the way to go. The soffit and fascia should be white as well. There are so many beautiful options for your door-red, yellow, lime green, raspberry. Navy is a neutral so you can go any direction with the color. I also agree that the shutters should go. If you can, a full lite storm door painted the same color as the door will make a big difference, as will a new light in a brushed nickel to stand out against the navy paint. It should be about 3 times the size it is now.

Variegated hostas at the foundation would be pretty and add great color.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Some color combos for you:

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

FWIW, I think the green trim with the blue looks awesome.

• Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I truly appreciate everyone's help. I went to Sherwin Williams today. The color of my house is Charcoal Blue (SW 2739, 253-C4). We got samples of Gossamer Veil & Creamy for the trim. On the house, they are too light for my taste. Would prefer something a tad darker and warmer. I will look at Canvas Tan and am open to any other suggestions (now that we know what house color we're working with). Thanks to everyone's encouragement, I am feeling more confident that we might end up with a color combo that we love. Thank you!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

My best guess as to how Canvas Tan will look on your house:

• Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I don't know how to tag someone in a comment or reply specifically to their post, but I am so impressed with your steady hand at drawing the paint colors on my house; my lines are all wobbly. Thank you for taking the time to create those examples!
  • Pugga70
    5 years ago

I prefer the Canvas Tan as well. As for painting the foundation, I' m not sure; however, you can plant some shrubbery around your home to hide the foundation.

• Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oops, I reread the comments. I will look at MANCHESTER tan (not canvas, lol, although maybe I'll check that out too). I think I'm leaning towards a slightly softer shade of Axle's 3rd house - a darker cream.
  • Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Grrr, I really hate not being able to edit comments. It's actually his 4th house that appeals to me most (not the third).
  • Pugga70
    5 years ago

Yes, the 4th house is nice!!

• Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Should this flat board be the house or trim color? What's the technical term?
  • Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think it might be called a frieze board, and it looks like most people color it as trim. (answering my own question).
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

The flat board, should be trim color. I like the blue. I think you will get used to it, once you have it for a while, and all the trim is finally painted. I would definitely paint your foundation. I cant tell, if it has been painted before, or if it is cement showing, but, the old coal door? is rusty, and the foundation just looks like it needs to be refreshed. You will have to use a metal primer on the coal shute door, after cleaning and sanding it. I think though, that it should be very similar to what it shows up as now. You have a very cute house.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I like white/off white trim with the color and agree - don't paint the foundation. Just add foundation plants.

The Highland House | Exterior · More Info

Lochley - Narrow Lakefront Lot · More Info

• Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think that I found a combo that a like. My main question is whether it's okay to NOT paint the flat board (frieze?) in front, but DO paint it in back. Cautiously excited! :-) Thoughts?
  • tatts
    5 years ago

Paint the foundation. As it is, the light color draws attention to it. Paint it a dark warm grey and plant shrubs in front that will disguise it and make everything blend together.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I would paint it the traditional way all the way around. Better now than later and you will be greeted with a nice view every time you come home. Crisp white trim, doors in the light blue. Take the shutter off the bay window. Get a much bigger light fixture for the front.

• User
    5 years ago

Yellow door. Tan trim. With a real paint contractor. Mr. Handyman‘s work is going to need to be fixed and repeated very shortly. Guy never heard of prep or primer, of even the correct way to paint a house.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Paint the front one too. It will look much better for your curb appeal. Better to do it all now.

• loobab
    5 years ago

I like Sophie Wheeler's yellow door, and I would recapitulate the color scheme in your flower plantings. Besides a lot of big green things in the bed, how about some iris in shades of deep blues and purples that have those marvelous yellows?

In your window box you can put violas and pansies.

Other nice choices around the house are blue crocus, blue poppy, ipomea (morning glory). Pick what works for your climate and intersperse with white so you don't get blue and yellow overload.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

No matter what is said, your home needs a gray to whitish color trim and roof. Adding an accent color to that much blue is just not going to look classy. Your roof should be white, or a very silvery gray, and your trim should be white. That is enough color for your home size. It will be classy, and you will not tire of it. White or silvery white/grayish white , on the eaves of the home, the doors and the railings, and a similar white to silvery/gray tone on your new shingled roof. In 5 years you can re-evaluate and at that time, if your landscaping and your home are in sync, you MIGHT try a warm LIGHT PALE tone of yellow on your screen door, or exit door. That Greeen BJ Moore recommends, I expect, would be curtains, a throw rug and or a comforter set inside a house. That way you might have a 60/40 split of 2 colors, with other surfaces, like ? wood floor, windows open, lamps, a ceiling in other tones. That is in no way proper for a small cottage home like yours, at this point. Good luck!! Do not paint your foundation and steps, unless you use a concrete color. And than, you are really going to open yourself for maintenance. It's not easy to keep paint on aged concrete, from the experiments I have seen. It's easier to replace some indoor outdoor carpet throw runner on the steps.. :D

• Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    GroverAxle, what are the colors you used in the first two pictures that you just posted (tan, blue, and red)? Also, it does look SO much better with bushes. Thank you!
  • Jill
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    loobab, thank you for all the wonderful planting suggestions!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Jill, I can't name any colors since I just manipulate them. I can tell you the trim on all three renderings is a whitish with a yellow undertone. The red leans toward orange and is somewhat desaturated. My renderings can only give you a starting point for color families to choose from.